_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Talens Van Gogh H2Oil
Schwarzadler
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 09:05 PM UTC
I can get some Talens Van Gogh H2Oil water soluble oil paints for free:

-. are they suitable for plastic modelling or is it better to use regular oil paints?

-. Can they only be thinned with water or is it possible to use turpetine or white spirits?

Yes, I know that I can try it out myself but maybe there's someone who already has experience with water soluble oil paints.

Thx
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can get some Talens Van Gogh H2Oil water soluble oil paints for free:

-. are they suitable for plastic modelling or is it better to use regular oil paints?

-. Can they only be thinned with water or is it possible to use turpetine or white spirits?

Yes, I know that I can try it out myself but maybe there's someone who already has experience with water soluble oil paints.

Thx

You can thin them with both water & thinner.

Cant say anything about the specific brand but having tried water soluble oil paints from winsor & newton I would advice AGAINST it. They don't thin as well as real oils (grainer finish) and just behave different and gives worse result.

On the other hand, if they are free… What do you have to loose
RNicoletti
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC
Talens,

Water base oil paint pigments are not as fine as regular oil paints and they to dry a bit "chalky".

However, since they are free, I recommend experimenting with them to get used to oil paints and then move on to regular oil paints.

I've used both and prefer regular oil paints.

Regards,

Rich
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
I got a set of Reeves a while back and intend to test them soon. I've got a good bunch of acrylic mediums to play with and flow aid. I'll post a thread when I get around to trying them out. I would suspect that they'll be best used for weathering rather than painting, but you never know. The right combination of thinner and medium might make them behave closely to regular oils.

Kimmo
Schwarzadler
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
Thank you all for your reply. I will get them and try them.
 _GOTOTOP