_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Eduard: ProfiPACK Sherman
Isherman
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 11:54 PM UTC

A comprehensive kit of the 1/35th M4A1 Sherman tank has just been announced by Eduard

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
Already have it. It's Tasca plastic with Eduard PE and new decals for a lot less that Tasca kits are selling!

I tried to pinpoint photos of actual vehicles that paint schemes are based on, so far only had luck with "BULL O THE WOODS" but the FDA is not really visible in that one and "HELLCAT" probably on training before D-Day (white stars on the sides of turret, dark camo, black over OD? HELLCAT on the side, FDA and sand skirts as on box artwork)

I wanted to build "FRANTIC" but only found colour profile in Steve Zaloga's concord book "Sherman at War".

Cheers,
Greg
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
This is GREAT news since the availability of Tasca kits has been up in the air so far.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
Can't wait for it to be released. Wonder what the price is going to be.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
They're already out, Scale Hobbyist had them for 59 and change, Sprue Brothers has them for 63. I snagged one as soon as I saw them on Scale Hobbyist's recent arrivals page.
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 04:27 AM UTC
Might get one. As never built a Sherman in any form
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 04:59 AM UTC
Looks great, but does need to have the track replaced.

jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are they incorrect or is it just a preference for you? I was thinking about getting this one, so if I need to get the right track I'll order it together.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Are they incorrect or is it just a preference for you? I was thinking about getting this one, so if I need to get the right track I'll order it together.

I prefer the individual link tracks, find they look better.

jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Why would you go through the effort of producing a PE set for a Sherman and NOT include the headlight, horn, and tail light guards? But then do actually provide fenders? I do not get it... Tasca has a perfectly good set of fenders already in plastic.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 04:15 PM UTC
Even funnier considering the marking options don't have fenders and sandshields
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, one of them has fenders and sandshields...
Besides Tasca light guards do look pretty good in plastic

Cheers, Greg
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, one of them has fenders and sandshields...
Besides Tasca light guards do look pretty good in plastic

Cheers, Greg

Tasca is by far the next best thing after PE... but they're still ~5x too thick.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why would you go through the effort of producing a PE set for a Sherman and NOT include the headlight, horn, and tail light guards?

Bummer!! Because those are the only PE items you really need! Now you still have to go and buy an AM PE set.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 03:45 PM UTC
Tasca/Asuka actually provide etched parts for the light guards in their own kits, perhaps they are included here as well, even though that small PE sheet is not shown in the pics? If that's the case, then there is no need for Eduard to duplicate these parts.

Considering Eduards choice of base kit, it would be strange if they chose to delete Tasca/Asuka's PE parts.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tasca/Asuka actually provide etched parts for the light guards in their own kits, perhaps they are included here as well, even though that small PE sheet is not shown in the pics? If that's the case, then there is no need for Eduard to duplicate these parts.

Considering Eduards choice of base kit, it would be strange if they chose to delete Tasca/Asuka's PE parts.

No, they don't provide light guards in all their sherman kits, M4A1 based kits have very small fret including radiator cover and grouser box cover meshes, some tiedown loops and details for air cleanrs latches. M4A4 based kits have bigger PP fret and this includes headlight brush guards. M4A2 based kits don't have PE at all, and M4A3E8 kits again have a small fret, this time with brush guards.

To wrap this up, Tasca does provide a plastic jig to bend their PE guards on, it is on the three piece early FDA sprue, so it comes in all kits that have this option (M4A1 has it as well) With the abundance of leftover frame around the PE parts, why not cut some PE strips, form them on the jig and voila!

They will even have the bonus accuracy feature of having the supports as separate parts as on the real thing!

Cheers,
Greg
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 01:23 AM UTC
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday I popped it open to see what all was in there. I found a couple of the more delicate pieces had gotten broken, no big deal there though. There are no P.E. light or siren guards in the kit. What is odd is that they have you use the plastic fenders for two versions and reference the P.E. fenders for the other two versions.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is odd is that they have you use the plastic fenders for two versions and reference the P.E. fenders for the other two versions.

It is like that because fender part fits only one type of FDA, so you get two alternative FDA's and corresponding plastic fender pieces and only one PE set that replaces plastic part that fit early cast FDA but not the three piece bolted FDA.

Cheers,
Greg
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 06:35 AM UTC
Got this kit, putting it together now. Just noticed it has the wrong part in the box then in the booklet. The rear firewall.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got this kit, putting it together now. Just noticed it has the wrong part in the box then in the booklet. The rear firewall.

I guess I don't understand how it can be 'wrong' when that piece is part of the same sprue as the whole lower hull.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess I don't understand how it can be 'wrong' when that piece is part of the same sprue as the whole lower hull.

Jesse,
Its much easier to understand if you have the kit on hand

I belive that instead of an E sprue from M4A1 kits, Eduard supplied E sprue from M4 Composite kit.

So on eduards instructions we have situation like this:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10134593z6/70/6
but in the box we get this:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10194659z4/70/4

The firewall you get in the kit would need to have the corners trimmed, but apart from that it should still be accurate, and on the plus side you don't have to shave off the rivets from the hull sides for later PSC Sherman lower hull.

Cheers,
Greg
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Whilst I like individual tracks for dead track vehicles requiring sag it is very hard to get an accurate depiction of Sherman "Live" track using indy links particularly for anyone trying it with Fruil Metal tracks. I personally find the DML DS and TASCA tracks look fine and "better" than indy links which always look sagged which is not the case on real shermans. Indies are preferable for modelling thrown track etc though
Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Not to mention the PITA of assembling indy Sherman tracks - end connectors etc.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Whilst I like individual tracks for dead track vehicles requiring sag it is very hard to get an accurate depiction of Sherman "Live" track using indy links particularly for anyone trying it with Fruil Metal tracks. I personally find the DML DS and TASCA tracks look fine and "better" than indy links which always look sagged which is not the case on real shermans. Indies are preferable for modelling thrown track etc though
Al

Individual track links for live track as on a Sherman end up looking like a poorly maintained tank with really bad track tension who's about to throw a track. If you can somehow make the idler adjustable to take up the slack it'll work. Otherwise it'll look like a tank about to throw a track. And a crew who has a lot to learn about track maintenance.

Or you could watch endless video of Shermans on the move, pay close attention to where the track gaps and slops as the tank drives along and do a tank in motion. Making one track super tight in front, slopped in the rear and the other vice versa will result in a tank in a turn. Just me thinking outside the box.
 _GOTOTOP