_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Newbie needs airbrush paint color info
DiverDan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hi Gang, Newbie here. I want to start with some old M.A.S.H. 4077 models to practice on. My query is "what were the correct colors the military was using during the Korean war?" And, what airbrush ready paint is the easiest to use for a beginner. Are there brands out there,"ready to use," and have the right colors? or is mixing and thinners the only option.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 07:07 PM UTC
I am unsure of the correct color, but I can help with paint lines. I prefer Tamiya acryls. The perform best, when mixed 1:1 with lacquer thinner. Any lacquer thinner is fine. Vallejo Model Air can be sprayed directly from the bottle. However, you may want to thin 1:3, water:paint. Model Master acrylic spray straight from the bottle and clean up with water. Both Vallejo and Model Master have extensive color options. If you go the Tamiya route, you may have to make custom mixes. It is worth it and you will have to learn to sooner or later. With all of the above paint lines, you should add a couple of drops of glass cleaner. This helps improve the flow. I use auto glass cleaner at $1 per jug. Also, I spray at 20psi. I hope this helps.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC
The advantages of an air brush - infinite variety of colors and precise control over application - demand that the user must be able to manage the tasks of reducing (thinning) and mixing.

While there are some newer brands and lines of paints that are promoted as "air brush ready," the reality is that even these paints may need to be reduced to spray well.

I'm like Matt in that I really like Tamiya paints, and I reduce mine for spraying about the same way.

However, you might want to consider your local paint availability situation and go with a brand of paint that's easy for you to get. Almost any major brand of model paints can be airbrushed, but each has its quirks.

Once you settle on a particular brand and line, there should be no shortage of help here from other guys who use the same.

Happy modeling!
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hello,

there are some airbrush ready paint lines like Vallejo Model Air or AMMO by MIG. These work indeed without thinning, however, having tried these, I think the layer they put on without reducing is rather thick so if you want a nice layer you need to use thinner. Both ranges have their dedicated airbrush thinners.

In your case I would use US ARMY olive drab (78.402) of Vallejo Model Air but all brands have corresponding colors. I advise you to consider availability of colors, because it will become a hassle to keep paints, thinners, cleaners in mind if you have several brands on stock (I know I have).

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:30 AM UTC
As to availability, consider online pricing. I purchased Tamiya and MM through my local hobby store. The store closed about a year ago. As it was the last hobby store in town, I have had to resort to online stores.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Dan, Tamiya Olive Drab is close enough for government work, but you could lighten it up with some Tamiya buff to give it that worn look. Tamiya is thick paint and really needs to be thinned, with the tamiya Laquer Thinner 1:1 or with 100% denatured alcohol, which should be available at your local hardware store. Assuming you have a decent hobby shop there in Penn, you should have no issue finiding Tamiya pint. Model master acrylics (white label) are also good but again thin them 2:1 or more paint to thinner for best results, both testors and Tamiya are too thick and dry quickly which will cause your ab to clog.
If you have an art supply stor near you, you should be able to find a flow aid for acrylics as well as retarder. These will help keep paint flowing and prevent clogs during use. If all else fails follow directions. Cheers.
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi All,
Can we mix Testor Enamel paint with Tamiya Lacquer thinner or we have to use their own paint thinner ? Thank you.
Thanh.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All,
Can we mix Testor Enamel paint with Tamiya Lacquer thinner or we have to use their own paint thinner ? Thank you.
Thanh.

Testors paints are enamel and should be thinned with paint thinner. A few Testors are lacquer and will say so on the bottle. You can use any lacquer thinner.
DiverDan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks Guys,
Matt, Mike, Gabor and Damon. I really appreciate your direct-response. So much to learn.
And it looks like Tamiya paints for me! I drove myself nuts trying FolkArt acrylics with distilled water and got no where.(clogcity).
I'm going to order some Tamiya acrylics online with the thinner (yellow cap). I did buy Freak Flex paints from badger for a Bride of Frankenstein, but haven't opened them yet. My M.A.S.H. dio takes priority over monster figures.
Anyway, I like your idea Damon , for olive drab with the buff on the tents. and I'm guessing some earth tones too. Thanks
Matt, I like the windshield washer fluid idea too! I've been spraying at 30psi. I'll back it down, maybe its been drying the paint.
I'll give some of the others ( Model Masters + Vallejo 78.403) a try while I hone in on mixing, because I need all the practice painting that I can get. I don't have a local hobby shop close to me, so I'll be shopping around for a while.
Well, I can't wait to get started. When I get my paints ,I'll post my progress. Thanks again Everybody!
 _GOTOTOP