Stalingrad buildings, what color?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hey Guys!

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what colors buildings in Stalingrad 1942 - 1943 were? I know they can probably be just about anything, but I'd like to be pretty accurate. I'd prefer not to paint it white or gray, but rather some color like light green or something, but I have no clue if that was done or not. Color pics would be great Thanks for the help guys!

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:15 PM UTC
Anders, I wanted to send you some pics from the movie Enemy at the Gates but the DVD player in my PC just bit the big one. Anyhow, back then you probably wouldn't have seen any super bright colors in Stalingrad. Remember, after all we are talking about Russia in the 1940. This was a poor and oppressed country. I think you will be safe if you use colors like red (red brick) gray or beige (stone buildings) white for those structures covered in stucco. Also light pastels such as yellow, orange and blue might be OK. I think that some of the churches might have been colored in blue with gold dome roofs. Hope this helps.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hey Marty!

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that there wouldnt be a whole lot of bright colors, maybe at one time it was, but after all destruction I would seriously doubt it. Acctually, I read once source that stated that although Russia were very poor, you could not see that in Stalingrad due to their rich businesses and factories. Im not so sure though. I think Im going to try the very light (pale) green, and will weather it heavily, and see if that will work.
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:36 PM UTC
Anders,
Prior to the rise of the Soviet Union the city of Volgrgrad was a project city of Peter the Great, who was one of the preimer builders in the history of Russia. The city was also an important port city which would provide money to keep the city rather well kept. This was not a picture of Russian poverty. There was a moive produced in 1999 titled "Stalingrad." It is a German film depicting the Battle for Stalingrad, may be worth a view.
Jay
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hola Jay,

Thanks for the histrory behind it, didnt know that, suppose its true that you learn something new everyday . Ive seen a movie named Stalingrad, but might be a different one as the one Ive seen is older then 1999. Its a great one Also seen the movie Enemy at the Gates, which is a good movie even with its extremely unaccurate story of Vasilij Zaitzev.

Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC

In 1942 there were no color pictures, all that existed was black and white (of course), and there are very few buildings that have remained the same there since WWII. In Stalingrad, there was alot of brick, and alot of cinderblock. Also, I hate to say this but there were many white and grey buildings. Most of the buildings though, were mostly in darker shades of color. The best we can do is look at black and white photos and guess that something that shade of color was there.
Here are a few pictures I've found...

~Katyusha~
 _GOTOTOP