_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Good course in 2-color paint chipping
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
There are probably all kinds of instructional videos and blogs on paint chipping out there, especially with the hairspray technique. But I particularly liked this one because it shows how to have bare metal, primer and top color chipped.
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
Oh that looks great, thanks for posting that Bill, ive bookmarked it for later as im going to have to try this for sure! I see at the end of the tutorial the Author says "For multi-layer chipping, be sure to use a non-acrylic clear coat to seal between layers" this had me worried as i only have Vallejo Acrylic varnishes.

So i looked them up on vallejo's site here: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/fine-arts/auxiliary-products/1 and luckily it seems i have the "Permanent Acrylic Varnish - Can not be eliminated once dry. It is recommended to apply two coats of varnish, with an interval of at least 4 hours. Quickdrying Varnish can be diluted with water if desired. U.V. resistent." I dont know whether diluting with water alters its water resistance once dry? But i plan on using it straight out of the bottle anyway.

One thought i did have is that with all these layers of paint and varnish, all over the top of "real" primer there might be a loss of small detail by the time the washes go on. I think the effect of chipped primer under chipped paint is so cool im prepared to loose a little detail if i have too.

Cheers, Bob
 _GOTOTOP