_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best compressor and spray gun
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi everyone, I've decided as I've just moved into my new house and have my very own "man room" I've decided I'm going to treat myself to a new compressor and spray gun.

So ladies and gentlemen, what is everyone's recommendation on what to buy??

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
I've been using an airbrush since 1982. Well earlier if you count the failure of a $15 one that could barely spray a wide pattern and could do nothing much smaller than a rattle can produces for edges.

I'm quite happy with the Grex's Tritium G (2013) and their compressor. This is also sold under the Andrea brand. Built in water trap and pressure adjustment and pretty quiet. The system has a quick release that can adapt to Paasche, Badger and Iwata brushes.

I also have a Badger 150 (2004) , a Paasche H (1982) and a Paasche VL (1991). The H is single, the others all dual action (the trigger controls air flow and paint. All still work fine and I use different brushes for different applications.

The Grex is gravity feed, the others are siphons. Gravity makes for easier cleaning and the allowance for just a drop or two of paint for quick touch ups.

I also have a 25 year old Sears compressor that works well but is very loud.

That said, every painter will swear by their brand. I'd only advise against any store brand, such as we have on this side of the pond Harbor Freight. These are dirt cheap but look like brand name brushes.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC
Si eBay or airbrushes.com in uk is a good place to start,i really rate badger as there parts are pretty cheap and readily available, also don't be put of the Chinese brushes as they are good starter.
A few words about compressors most art or airbrush stores will sell you a compressor with a high price tag when all you need is a cheap diaphragm type to get you started.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 11:07 AM UTC
I have used a few of the brand names. The Badger Renegade Krome is my favorite. It offers nice control, from hair-line to base coats. It has a needle regulator and substantial paint cup. It breaks down easily, helping to clean it. The next model is out, now. I believe it goes for ~$170usd and is well worth it. I couple this with a Badger compressor I found on EBay for $50usd and have been running it for a couple of years. Recently, I had a problem with the nozzle clogging, after spraying Mr. Surfacer primer. It took me a few days, but I finally managed to clean the nozzle using lacquer thinner and a toothpick. The Iwata HP-C line is also nice. This was my primary brush, before the Badger. It is comparable, in most respects. The main difference is that it costs about $40 more than the Badger. If you are working on a budget, the Badger Sotar 2020 is also very nice. My only complaint is the size of the paint cup. But, it goes for $90 which should fit a tight budget. My best piece of advice is to go with a double action brush, as it allows more spray control and don't buy the siphon type. The bottles and cups have a nasty habit of coming loose and IMHO they are harder to clean.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 04:58 PM UTC
In a way you ask a very difficult question to answer . Everybody is biased toward a brand , not being sarcastic you might have different views . If you have friends who have airbrushes ask if you could try them then you will have a set of parameters for the rest of the crew to work on . I'm not being a smartass its just hard to tell you what you want or need .
dogstar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
I own an Iwata renegade and an Iwata eclipse hp-cs and I find them comparable, both are great air brushes in my opinion. The hp-cs comes stock with a 0.35mm nozzle and needle which I've swapped out for a 0.5mm set.

If I were buying a new air brush I'd probably look at Iwata and the sotar 2020, they seem like a pretty nice unit and they're a bit cheaper than the Iwata.

For air supply I've been using compressed CO2 rather than a compressor, it's silent and never has moisture problems but it can be a little more expensive to set up as compared to a cheap hardware store compressor.

As several posters have mentioned most people have their favorite brand and stay loyal to it so unbiased comparison between brands can be tough to find
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
There appear to be a lot of good airbrushes on the market. I presently use an Iwata Eclipse double action, but have got years of use out of my old Badger 200 single action. Others swear by Grexx and even Tamiya.

As for the compressor, I have a Silentaire Scorpion II and think it is fantastic.
http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/scorpion.asp
Used a Craftsman garage compressor for years, but it was merely adequate.
sasman21
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC
i bought this of amazon and i have absolutely no complaints about either the compressor or the airbrushes
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XP7K9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SiStorey
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
Thank you very much to all who have inputted into this forum, got a good selection of brands there so at least I know what people are have success with. Now just to do some research and see what ones will fit my budget and will keep by lady happy lol

Thank you all!!
 _GOTOTOP