_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ball & Chain
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
Guys,
First let me apologize for asking this question, because I'm sure it has been discussed many times already. I'm in the middle of building Academy's Merkava Mk. IV LIC (13227). I've purchased legends Merkava Mk.4 Basket Set as well as Eduard PE set. However, the ball & chain for the rear of the turret is a absolute nightmare. I've combined both to try and get somewhat of a happy medium. With the Legends set you have the chain, wire, PE, and small brass beeds. Trying to figure this out isn't the problem. The problem is it's so small to work with. After several attempts, I've decided to turn to Armorama for any help or any other suggestions what may work. Again, any help would certainly be appreciated.

Tony
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC
Can't help a lot. Some years ago, I did a Merkava I and scratched my own from wire, cheap jewelry chai and craft beads. Oh, yeah, a lot of time and patience.
Genuino
Visit this Community
Acre, Brazil
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:49 PM UTC
Some years ago I used a a kide of ball chain, cutting single ball and attaching it with thin wire. I think you find it at jewellery stores or online at Rio Grande.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Steel-Nickel-Plated-Bead-Chains/68151250?Pos=2

amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 03:25 PM UTC
Thought you were writing about the wife?
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC
Build a Challenger II ?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
You have two choices:

1.) An AM set like the Voyager one I used in my Merkava III build.

2.) Whatever the kit gives you (the Meng styrene ball & chain is OK).

The Voyager set combined chain, tiny PE hooks and tiny BBs with holes in the middle. It was a ****ing nightmare.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
If Meng (or somebody in the AM world) would do a "generic" ball and chain set in DS-type plastic, they could retire on the zillions of dollars they'd make.
Maybe.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If Meng (or somebody in the AM world) would do a "generic" ball and chain set in DS-type plastic, they could retire on the zillions of dollars they'd make.
Maybe.

I will second that - count me in for ten sets !
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe.

I will second that - count me in for ten sets !

And ten for me.....

I've already got a picture in my mind of a whole row of the stuff, all with the maximum number of links needed, trim to fit for the rest.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 11:50 AM UTC
Sorry, there is no easy out.
Like Al said, it's scale RR chain, bead-chain metal beads, fine wire and super glue.

I did find that using the bead-chain beads made it easier becasue I could take a single strand of headphone wire, thread it through the last chain link, pull both ends downwards, pass then both through the bead and slide the bead up onto the last chain link. Drop of CA to secure and snip snip.
Rinse, lather, repeat 497 times..

Sorry..
Mike
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 12:36 AM UTC
Mike, I like your idea. I'll give it a try and see how that works. Also, I really like the idea of someone making a "generic" set of the ball & chain. I would like to think that it wouldn't be difficult to make. On the other hand, maybe it is and that's the reason we've not seen it. Thanks again for the help.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike, I like your idea. I'll give it a try and see how that works. Also, I really like the idea of someone making a "generic" set of the ball & chain. I would like to think that it wouldn't be difficult to make. On the other hand, maybe it is and that's the reason we've not seen it. Thanks again for the help.

Back before I buckled down and made my own, there had been at least one set available as aftermarket. I was unable to find it, however, at any shop, catalog or show in my region. This was in 1997, the early days of internet popularity and there were almost no shops and even Ebay was quite young.

The work to design and produce a good ball and chain would likely be prohibitive. resin and white metal will have very unsatisfactory solid links and not be at all movable. Translation: not likely to sell but moderately priced. That brings us back the real chain and beads. To assemble this is quite labor intensive and the cost would be exceptionally high. Translation: very high cost and not likely to sell.

The cost of doing it yourself is only a few dollars in raw materials from a craft store: some cheap jewelry chain, a container of #10 beads and a roll of steel wire. The rest is time invested on your part.

Here's a pic of mine:
cutigerfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
Al,
Thanks for the info. I do have a question. You stated that the ball (beads) was a #10. Is that the same as a 4mm? Or does anyone know. I have the chain & wire from the Legends set, so I can use those. However, it's very difficult trying to determine the correct size of the beads without seeing them or knowing exactly the right size.

Tony
Malvin
Visit this Community
Severocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi , smale chain
http://www.fast-webstore.com/www-vt-models-cz/eshop/8-1-Diorama-accessories/1-2-1-35/5/622-Chaimt-for-modellers-0-5-m-retizek-pro-modelare-0-5-m
Malvin
gareths11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
I had planned on trying this set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251593194872?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Only the one link, cast with the ball, requires bending.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
I dont know about the sizing, but the 'standard' bead chain keychain beads worked for me.
Like these. http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Key_Chains
Plus they are metal, so there is a little more mass to them for the hang.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al,
Thanks for the info. I do have a question. You stated that the ball (beads) was a #10. Is that the same as a 4mm? Or does anyone know. I have the chain & wire from the Legends set, so I can use those. However, it's very difficult trying to determine the correct size of the beads without seeing them or knowing exactly the right size.

Tony

#10 is about 2 mm. I might be wrong about he size. Here a bead sizing chart. Scale the size of the real ball and figure which size you need. 2mm = about 2.75 scale inches.
spacepacker
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,
First let me apologize for asking this question, because I'm sure it has been discussed many times already. I'm in the middle of building Academy's Merkava Mk. IV LIC (13227). I've purchased legends Merkava Mk.4 Basket Set as well as Eduard PE set. However, the ball & chain for the rear of the turret is a absolute nightmare. I've combined both to try and get somewhat of a happy medium. With the Legends set you have the chain, wire, PE, and small brass beeds. Trying to figure this out isn't the problem. The problem is it's so small to work with. After several attempts, I've decided to turn to Armorama for any help or any other suggestions what may work. Again, any help would certainly be appreciated.

Tony

I'm afraid there is no easy way, it's just patience

Mine took along time, got there in the end; just persevere...cheers....Kenny

_GOTOTOP