_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Mixing large quantities of model paint?
monsterdrew
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 04:56 PM UTC
I'm working on a series of figures and want to premix a large quantity (say 1-2 oz.) of paint to keep the color the same throughout.

I mixed what I thought would be a good amount of paint, but after base coating the figures, I've basically gone through the paint I mixed and still have lots of shading and highlighting to do.

Obviously, measuring "by drops" isn't very realistic given the quantity, and when I've been doing the mixing with eyedroppers, I don't really think I'm getting very accurate estimates of what I'm adding (it's hard to tell whether the eyedropper has air / bubbles in it, the sides get quickly opaquely coated so I can't see what's going on in the dropper, etc.).

Does anyone have any good tips for premixing large quantities of paint? And having a reasonable understanding of the ratios once I'm done to match later if I need more?

Thanks!
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 05:47 PM UTC
I use old plastic 35mm film canisters. Pour in paints, mix check colour and adjust as necessary. Thin as necessary. Easy Peasy.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 08:41 PM UTC
I use the mark 1 eyeball. I mix large quantities of paints in empty Tamiya jars(preferably the 23ml jars). If I run out, I use the same process, by matching a paint chip from the original batch. I also thin every mix, so it is ready to be brushed on.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 10:12 PM UTC
I would say that every uniform has a slightly different shade because of dirt, age, washes, etc. so if you do not paint them all the same, it will add richness to the scene.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 11:20 PM UTC
A syringe is the most accurate way I believe for the hobbyist to mix paints, this is especially true if you use a needle on the syringe.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 03:08 PM UTC
Ever consider mixing by weights , there's scales that will get you to low figures . Will be consistent unless you change brands of paint .
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
You can purchase graduated medicine dosage cups in the 1 oz range in a lot of places.

As an example, here are some on Amazon:

Amazon::Disposable Graduated Medicine Cups

You can also find these locally at most drug stores and the pharm section at Wally World (you may have to ask the pharmacist where they're actually stocked).

These also come in handy mixing two-part resins for casting.

HTH and happy modeling!
 _GOTOTOP