_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting an all grey scheme
dbutl3r
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi,

I normally build 1/350 ships but I am taking a break to try my hand at armor. This will be my first serious attempt at this subject. I am building a Dragon 1/35 panzer III with an all gray paint scheme. I am wondering what is the best way to paint an all gray vehicle? what steps to achieve proper shading? base coat and paint chipping suggestions? any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

ps: I will be using an airbrush
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
I start with a light gray base and preshade with NATO Black(Tamiya). I don't highlight panel lines, but rather odd spots. Then, I apply Tamiya German Gray in thin coats, being careful not to drown out the preshading. For chipping, you have a few options. You can either brush paint red oxide(Floquil Oxide Primer, Tamiya Hull Red, etc.) or use pigment. This is just where you have to determine your comfort zone. Pigments are a little more messy, but can achieve great effect with practice. Add your markings, flat coat, then add a filter. Again, I use a light gray(the exact shade depending on how I want the finished model to look). Finally, apply a pin wash(black/brown or black). Finish weathering to effect.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi David, I´ve now almost completed a grey Panzer III for the Dragon ooB campaign, and I´ve tried to ceep track of the process here: http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=13457&p=albums&album=19879#23
(sorry for the external link, but the only place where they are all thogether)
I´ve started with Tamiya Panzer gey and applied lighter shades (5 different tones) the more I´ve moved up. (I think I´ve explained there better aswell.)
Chipping as I do it is explained there aswell.

_GOTOTOP