_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
uses for fishing line
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Gentelmen,
Far from being a fisherman, I have recently come across a spool of very fine fishing line, and have been racking my brain for uses it can have on the modeling side. I have used popsicle sticks for fences, plastic sheets for broken glass,roots for trees, and thread for rope tie-downs. Their has got to be something that fishing line can be used for!
Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Ziggy
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Chris
Just off the top of my head.fishing?
In seriousness,I've seen it used to rig WWI biplanes and as antennae on aircraft.On armor,not a clue.

Mike
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 08:23 AM UTC
Could always use it for adding wiring conduits mixed in with other bits of wire; and I believe braille-scalers and wargamers use it for antenna (if it's somewhat stiff).
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
How about telephone lines?

Tom
Removed by original poster on 10/19/14 - 13:42:59 (GMT).
ziggy1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 01:44 AM UTC
Telephone lines! Brilliant! They work perfect for that.
Thanks Tom!
Chris
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
land line wire ? wire from claymores to detonators ? depending on the thickness ?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentelmen,
Far from being a fisherman, I have recently come across a spool of very fine fishing line, and have been racking my brain for uses it can have on the modeling side. I have used popsicle sticks for fences, plastic sheets for broken glass,roots for trees, and thread for rope tie-downs. Their has got to be something that fishing line can be used for!
Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Ziggy

Antenna tiedowns, radio and headphone wiring, engine oil lines, bailing wire, antenna wire, rope, lanyards, tarp tiedowns, securing loads on vehicles are just a few I use fishing line for-- it also depends on size and color. I prefer Chameleon brand brown 2lb test for most applications since it doesn't need to be painted.
VR Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC
I find fishing line to be a little too springy for many of those suggestions.

For aircraft antenna I use EZ-Line. For conduits and such I use thin copper wire from the jewelry making department.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I find fishing line to be a little too springy for many of those suggestions.

For aircraft antenna I use EZ-Line. For conduits and such I use thin copper wire from the jewelry making department.

I use 2lb test, which is thin enough it will generally hold any shape if warmed. I too use ez line for aircraft rigging, but I also use fishing line where strength is required, in some cases I rig entire aircraft with 2lb test. I do use a battery powered thread burner (I think it's also called a suture end burner) to heat the line so it becomes taught. For conduits I exclusively use acid free solder. I often use fishing line to represent oil lines and hydraulic lines in brake systems and for ignition wiring as those usually do have "spring" in them in the real thing. When I make a tied down antenna, I use steel wire for the antenna and brass wire for the spring (if a spring is present),then bending it to shape. I making a clamp or retaining clip from a piece of sheet brass, then tie it down with fishing line which is heated to remain taught. I find wire just gets bent out of shape if you accidentally bump it, and thread tends to fray-- fishing line usually remains taught, and won't fray, it also will not expand or contract much with temperature fluctuations, which sometimes result in sag. EZ line can break over time too, if stretched too thin. But I do use EZ line and waxed thread in lots of applications as well. This is a little off the exact topic, but I use sections of wire insulation stripped off the wire and cut very small, then running wire, solder or fishing line through it to represent connectors in wire or conduits too. The point being you can use lots of different materials to get the look you want.
VR Russ
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 04:03 AM UTC
clear fishing line can be used for the 'path' of falling water(EZ Water?) in a diorama, like a broken downspout, faucet, or hose. Can also be used to support 'flying' birds.
EZ line is great stuff! If you need something in larger diameter, go to the sewing shop and buy some Spandex thread. Comes in black or white(maybe more now). I use this for gear tie-downs on armor and such. Use the white but stretch run it through a pile of ground pastel chalk( or stain it with coffee or tea), to get the rope color you want. Black can be used for comm or downed power transmission lines.
Cheers!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

clear fishing line can be used for the 'path' of falling water(EZ Water?) in a diorama, like a broken downspout, faucet, or hose. Can also be used to support 'flying' birds.
EZ line is great stuff! If you need something in larger diameter, go to the sewing shop and buy some Spandex thread. Comes in black or white(maybe more now). I use this for gear tie-downs on armor and such. Use the white but stretch run it through a pile of ground pastel chalk( or stain it with coffee or tea), to get the rope color you want. Black can be used for comm or downed power transmission lines.
Cheers!

This is a little off-topic, but I actually wrote an article for another hobby website several years ago on building the Contrail HP42 in 1/72 scale-- and the rigging thread I used was Spandex, from a pair of bike shorts I was throwing away! EZ line from Berkshire industries for model RR applications has been around a long time, but Spandex was there first. But again, for strength I prefer fishing line-- I agree EZ line is good stuff too.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP