_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
T-155 Firtina build from Academy K-9 SPH?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi Gang,
I noticed that the Turkish Army based some SPH nera Kobane. It seems to me that the T-155 Firtina is nearly identical with the ROK K-9 Thunder SPH. Could the Academy kit build OOTB or are there any external modifications?
H.-H.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
Apparently, the turret is different. Here is a conversion build a while ago by Kursad A.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Fırtına can not be built OOTB from any kit or with minor conversions. First of all, sides of the turret are very different. If you want to build it with some effort, the best kit to use as a base is Revell Panzerhaubitze 2000.
best regards
Engin
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fırtına can not be built OOTB from any kit or with minor conversions. First of all, sides of the turret are very different. If you want to build it with some effort, the best kit to use as a base is Revell Panzerhaubitze 2000.
best regards
Engin

The angle of the turret sides are different between Pzh2000 and Firtina, that would make conversion almost as much work as scratch built.

Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The angle of the turret sides are different between Pzh2000 and Firtina, that would make conversion almost as much work as scratch built.

Absolutely agreed. I meant if you will use a kit to build a Firtina with some major surgeries,Pzh2000 will be a better choice than Thunder SPH.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Absolutely agreed. I meant if you will use a kit to build a Firtina with some major surgeries,Pzh2000 will be a better choice than Thunder SPH.

Actually, not. The lower hull is basically the same as the K-9. That is the actual vehicle it is based on. Either way, you have to build a new turret. Check out the link in my previous post to see how it can be done. It doesn't look too hard to me.
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As mentioned above, the hull of firtina is far more different from pzh2000 than its turret is similar. You will absolutely have to scratch built a lot more trying to convert a pzh2000 kit into a passable firtina than doing so with a k-9 kit.

Firtina is basically a k-9 with turret reshaped probably to suit different rail road tunnel shape constraints in turkey than in Korea.
 _GOTOTOP