_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Photos Posted
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC
Jim was kind enough to post several shots I took during a recent trip to Europe. I'd appreciate it if you would review and ensure I correctly labeled the photos. I am uncertain as to the correct designator for several of the tanks. The series is in the Armor reference section of the Photo Gallery.
thanks
DJ
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:40 AM UTC
DJ,
You also should have access in that album to change/make the captions for the images (not to be confused with the ability to make a comment).

Cheers,
Jim
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
Jim--thanks. I am not too sure that the Spigot Mortar and the FT-17 are correctly designated. I know the German re-numbered captured equipment.
thanks again for your assistance
DJ
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
pictures look great -dj
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC
Scott--thanks. Getting to Patton's grave in Hamm, Luxembourg was the height of the trip.
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC
DJ: Nice Pic's, Great Job. Makes touring that area of this sitee worth the visit. Keep up the good work.

DAGGER-1
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott--thanks. Getting to Patton's grave in Hamm, Luxembourg was the height of the trip.
DJ

you should have brought the king tiger back for me,it would look great in my collection
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
Thanks Dag. The tanks were in an area outside the major museum in Osterbeck. They are refurbishing each of them. First time I ever saw a flail tank in the flesh. I have that after market kit for the flail and want to work on it after the M-26 project is completed. I may be a very old man by that time.
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
Dod you take any walkaround pictures of the Cromwell? I have the Tamiya Centaur and have next to nothing for references for that bad boy.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
Great stuff, DJ. That is a real nice juxtaposition of past and present with the King Tiger and the little Golf hatchback in the background. Gives a darn good idea of the immensity of that monster. The bailey bridge is also very interesting--it appears to be permanently emplaced and still in service, yes? Remarkable after all this time, for a structure designed to be decidedly temporary. And while I'm at it I'll go out on a limb and say that the flail appears to be attached to a very early M4A1 hull with direct vision and small hatches. The angle even seems to suggest an early M3 style suspension bogie with return roller on top, but I could be way off on that. Also looks like an early, narrow M34 mantlet.
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dod you take any walkaround pictures of the Cromwell? I have the Tamiya Centaur and have next to nothing for references for that bad boy.

Rob--I did not get a walk around of the Cromwell.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great stuff, DJ. That is a real nice juxtaposition of past and present with the King Tiger and the little Golf hatchback in the background. Gives a darn good idea of the immensity of that monster. The bailey bridge is also very interesting--it appears to be permanently emplaced and still in service, yes? Remarkable after all this time, for a structure designed to be decidedly temporary. And while I'm at it I'll go out on a limb and say that the flail appears to be attached to a very early M4A1 hull with direct vision and small hatches. The angle even seems to suggest an early M3 style suspension bogie with return roller on top, but I could be way off on that. Also looks like an early, narrow M34 mantlet.
Greg

Greg--I think I have some shots of the front slope of the King Tiger. Absolutely amazing. I stuck my hand up to my wrist in the gouged portion of the front slope! It went in and made the same impression as the original hyper shot round which is to say--no at all. The Dutch preserved the paraphernalia of WW II in superb condition. While I was at the museum, they had school kids in there doing research projects on WW II. They do not want anyone to forget that they were occupied. The Bailey Bridge originally spanned one of the crossing sites in the vicinity of Son. It is located within the grounds of the museum. I also took shots of each of the bridges in the infamous "Bridge Too Far" operation. They are sights to see. The crossing location of the 82nd to take the Grave bridge is awesome. Great places to visit.
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
Yeah, I toured Hell's Highway almost a decade ago. Took rolls of pictures, many of which I can no longer find.
I found Arnhem itself very interesting; it is easly to see where the battle raged. All those buildings are new, from the 1950's on. Go back a couple more streets and everything is much older. The Ariborne Museum on the grounds of the former Hartenstein Hotel (Urquhart's HQ) is very nice and well worth a visit. I too went right down to the riverbank at Grave, finding the old approach road along the bank. When I returned to the US, I was stunned to see the results of one of my pictures. I had taken the photo from the very same spot--within a couple of feet--of the man who took one of the published pictures in Ryan's A Bridge Too Far. The angle was the same, and the three trees in the picture were in the same relative position--only twice as tall!
Greg
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the pics DJ. Most appreciated.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
Very nice fotos DJ, love the King Tiger foto. I was going through Gallery the other night, have not checked it out in a couple of weeks, I was very impressed with all the new additions. This site is always improving, great work guys. :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC
I have others which I wish to post. I'll check with Jim to ensure I am inundating the system. All of my photos are WW II. My M60/M-1 are also available. Once again, I'll check with Jim to see what fits best.
 _GOTOTOP