_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Flat/Gloss coat?
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I'm new to the art of weathering so please bear with me. I've read about the various kinds of weathering processes. I've newly finished assembling and basecoating a Tiger I with Vallejo Middlestone via brush painting. I'd like to try out various weathering techniques using the oils and chalk pastels I have lying around at home. My question is: Do you still need to apply a flat or a gloss coat on the acrylic painted model? Or can I go ahead and weather it with oil paints?

PS: Also, how strong is turpentine and is it alright for using it as a thinner for my oil paints when I weather (like when I try the dot technique)
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC
There are definitly two schools of thought,some will say gloss,and others will say flat.

But Vallejo being acrylic should not be affected by oils if properly cured.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are definitly two schools of thought,some will say gloss,and others will say flat.

But Vallejo being acrylic should not be affected by oils if properly cured.

Thanks. I'll try out my oil paints on a card painted with just vallejo though to test. If it still reacts, I'll just have to get myself a spray can of tamiya TS-80
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - 05:38 PM UTC
Also, turpentine is too agressive for model work. You should use mineral spirits.
 _GOTOTOP