_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Castoff taken my money!
Crusader001
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 08:14 PM UTC
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

As long-time Chieftain fans a friend and myself decided to do a joint build using the Castoff Chieftain Stilbrew & TOGS set. We ordered it four weeks ago and .........NOTHING!!!!

Both of us have phoned him numerous times and the one time he did answer he said he was moving premises and promised it would be out within the next couple of days with an additional set as compensation and still NOTHING.

We wouldn't of had any problem with waiting but no contact, no email, nothing...Bad business of what!

In over twenty years modelling this must be the worst service I've ever had...and to think we were going to do his whole range of Cents and Chieftains!

Any ideas?

Lee
Kallisti
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
That does sound like an anomaly - Terry is usually very good with this sort of thing so if there are delays I would tend to believe him. I've cooperated with him on the bar armour for Scimitar and the Scimitar 2 and he's usually very reliable. I know he had a problem a while ago in that he lost his assistant who helped him with the mailing side of things - you need to remember that he's a one-man business and produces some great stuff, which can make problems if he gets too popular

I'm sure he'll get your stuff to you as soon as things are settled down.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
Oh your right there I ordered a set of landy wheels a few years back, heard nothing for a couple of weeks, sent a few emails and eventually got a reply telling me he was out of stock awaiting a re-cast. Sent them out a couple of weeks later and they seem to get lost in the post!! Got them in the end but I vowed I'd probably never use him again.

Paul
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 - 09:49 PM UTC
I ordered the Challenger 2 TES from him it did turn up at the time he had a fair bit on his plate yes it did take a while I would order from him again no issues for me hope it turns up.

Cheers Ben
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
Odd- I also ordered the Chally 2 and Warrior TES set with no problem.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That does sound like an anomaly

Really?

Do a quick search on Armorama and Missing Lynx (general and modern forums) and numerous threads of similar nature will come up.

Because of those, I actually order Castoff products from Scale-Link who are very responsive people with excellent customer service.

Cheers,

Christophe
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
I must agree with Lee, I ordered their Chieftain conversion last year and payed immediatly with PayPal. I got no goods delivered nor got any other response. Since I paid only 15 Euros I decided to skip this unfortunate issue from my mind.
Hans-Hermann
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
I ordered a Chally TES from him. I never recieved it, but I had bounced package from England while I was on holiday. I guess it somehow got lost on its way back, too bad
Crusader001
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies,

Reviews of service seem to be a real mixed bag. I paid through Paypal and it's now in their hands.

It is a shame as the Cent Mk.III bits look great.

As for Chieftain 11, thank goodness we have Accurate Armour.

What I don't understand is why there has been no email or return call just to say "Out of stock, will send on when I have some"...Doesn't cost much!

Regards

Lee
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
Gentlemen.

I had an email from Terry this morning and I can tell you that he is aware of this discord and problems he has created.

His move to a new facility is now complete and his production will again get rolling.

He was operating out of a very small, cluttered basement and since purchasing the Cromwell Armour items it became almost impossible to keep things rolling systematically and safely.

The stress was taking a toll on him and this move to a spacious workshop I hope will solve 95% of the problems. As stated Terry lost a co worker and backlogs resulted.

I am certain he will make good on the overdue orders, so be patient. If you think you need to remind him of your order and payment, then do so but the items cannot get finished any quicker than the man can work.

No doubt Terry will post his apology in due course. One can order from the retail shop but again, their stock may be dwindling as well.

I am not affiliated with him but he did serve in the same regiment and Squadron as myself and he is a good and honest man who will sort out his shortcomings.

Like some of you here I have built some of his products and I am patiently waiting for a couple of replacement/missing parts, both for Scimitar and a Chieftain (bin ) so I understand your plight and feelings.

I hope this clears the air a little and I will post a couple of pictures of the old and new workshops shortly.

This doesn't place your missing items in your hands but hopefully it will help explain the delay and lack of communication. Setting up the workshop and getting production under way is his number one priority.

Keith
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 - 11:47 PM UTC
As per my promise to post a couple of pictures in my previous posting I would like to add the following.

I am surprised Terry was able to push out as many items as he did considering the less than ideal conditions he 'was' working in and as a one man band I might add.

It is no wonder his stress levels went through the roof after he took on the items he bought from Gordon Brown (Cromwell Armour).

Clearly the popularity of his items has caused him to make a move and start afresh.

The old basement workshop?

And the new location.

A major improvement to say the least.

I look forward to him getting things sorted out and back up to speed as soon as practicable..

Keith.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
That first image looks like a major fire waiting to happen.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC
Darren i agree but my first thought ..prison cell ..how the hell did he do what he did in that place ,,well done to him for hanging in so long in that hole ..the new place ...much much better.

Phill
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That first image looks like a major fire waiting to happen.

Ya, but all hazards are offset by the glass of red wine on the work bench!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 04:20 PM UTC
I will say I have tried on a number of occasions to reach them by phone with no success, but I hope they will be represented at Telford.

On the subject of that work space horror, Elf and Safe T would go bledding mental. I hope that from his new location he can recover his reputation and give people the chance to see what comes next.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

First thing is to say sorry to everyone that I have upset and thanks to Keith for standing by me, though I don't think I deserve it.

I keep myself to myself normally and don't like to do my laundry in public but I owe an explanation to you all.

About a year ago I had a disagreement with the landlord of my workshop and left at short notice into my cellar and my wife had a back operation which put her out of work and my assistant went off to be a teacher and I have not found anyone else yet. The cellar started to get me down and not enough money was coming in to run the house and family then the offer came up from Cromwell for his Meg and WRAP2 which I couldn't let slip away, I bit off more than I could handle. the stress built up and I'm sorry to say I buried my had in the sand and virtually switched off. it was friends like Keith and Mick got me to turn round. I went to the council for benefit help with the rent and rates but this took from May to last week to sort out, they are now helping.

Then this workshop came up and I moved in last week and I feel great and things are moving again. It will still take a week or so to get straight so just a little more patients please (Dave you should have your TOGs by now it went out on Friday).

If there is anyone in the East Yorkshire area who wants to get involved with an idiot and a worthwhile model company get in touch. I will be casting more Megs and WRAP2s next week. ALL EMAILS FROM NOW WILL BE ANSWERED so please get in touch. Now I've opened up is there anything else anyone would like to know?

All the best, Terry.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
Thanks Darren, the new workshop is an open house and I welcome visitors there will be a display area and tea and coffee on tap.

Terry.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:03 PM UTC
Well spotted. No wine in the new workshop.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered a Chally TES from him. I never recieved it, but I had bounced package from England while I was on holiday. I guess it somehow got lost on its way back, too bad

Email your address again and I will send another.

Terry.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must agree with Lee, I ordered their Chieftain conversion last year and payed immediatly with PayPal. I got no goods delivered nor got any other response. Since I paid only 15 Euros I decided to skip this unfortunate issue from my mind.
Hans-Hermann

Sorry, send your address and which conversion it was and I will forward it as soon as possible.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Darren, the new workshop is an open house and I welcome visitors there will be a display area and tea and coffee on tap.

Terry.

Castoff Models
Unit 8C
Twydale business park
Driffield
East Yorkshire
YO25 6JX
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

As long-time Chieftain fans a friend and myself decided to do a joint build using the Castoff Chieftain Stilbrew & TOGS set. We ordered it four weeks ago and .........NOTHING!!!!

Both of us have phoned him numerous times and the one time he did answer he said he was moving premises and promised it would be out within the next couple of days with an additional set as compensation and still NOTHING.

We wouldn't of had any problem with waiting but no contact, no email, nothing...Bad business of what!

In over twenty years modelling this must be the worst service I've ever had...and to think we were going to do his whole range of Cents and Chieftains!

Any ideas?

Lee

Hi Lee, I'm A bit confused, is your friends name Dave Ryan and was it ordered through him? if so it went out on Friday. If not let me know, Cheers. Terry
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC
I am delighted to see and read Terry's responses here and that he has stepped up to the plate and owned the problems caused without any bullcr@p thrown in for flair..

Well done mate, because you have much more to offer us modellers of fairly modern items.

Perhaps you will be able to find the help you need even if it is a part time person...

Sorry I can't drop in as the bus from the USA doesn't go by your location very often.

Best of luck with your new location and I look forward to reading more satisfied customers reports...

Keith.
LifeGuardtrooper
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am delighted to see and read Terry's responses here and that he has stepped up to the plate and owned the problems caused without any bullcr@p thrown in for flair..

Well done mate, because you have much more to offer us modellers of fairly modern items.

Perhaps you will be able to find the help you need even if it is a part time person...

Sorry I can't drop in as the bus from the USA doesn't go by your location very often.

Best of luck with your new location and I look forward to reading more satisfied customers reports...

Keith.

Yes boss.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Keith.

Yes boss.

Your very welcome Terry, I could have put you 'behind the night guard' you know! (Old regimental punishment for poor behaviour)...

Keith
 _GOTOTOP