_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
which sherman model is fury?
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi all,

I hadnt been back for years...

Now a err..a corny question...which model is the sherman that appears in Fury? Not a sherman expert
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi Mate,Welcome Home, "Fury" is an M4A3E8 76mm,if youre looking to build her there are several Manufacturer`s kits available.
Depending on you`re budget and skill you could start with kitbashing Tamiya`s version right up to Tasca`s offering which is more expensive and challenging build but is closer to what you`re after.
If any other modellers know of better ways then perhaps they can chip in with solutions.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Correction: the unit that Fury is a part of used M4A3E8s. However, in the actual movie, they used an M4A2E8 for most of the external shots. It broke down and they substituted an M4 (105) HVSS which was modified with a 76mm gun turret for some scenes.

So the question is: do you want to model the tank as the movie? Then get an M4A2E8. If you want to do something more historically correct, then get Tamiya/Tasca M4A3E8
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Correction: the unit that Fury is a part of used M4A3E8s. However, in the actual movie, they used an M4A2E8 for most of the external shots. It broke down and they substituted an M4 (105) HVSS which was modified with a 76mm gun turret for some scenes.

So the question is: do you want to model the tank as the movie? Then get an M4A2E8. If you want to do something more historically correct, then get Tamiya/Tasca M4A3E8

Thanks Guys!!!

I am not sure either which one to model...movie tank or historically correct one...havent watched the show yet!

Its good to be home after MIA for 3yrs

Cheers
Kiong
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Guys!!!

I am not sure either which one to model...movie tank or historically correct one...havent watched the show yet!

Its good to be home after MIA for 3yrs

Cheers
Kiong

Modeling the historically accurate one would be a little easier- Tasca, Tamiya, Dragon and Academy all have ones you can build out of the box. No one makes an M4A2E8 out of the box, so you are going to need at least the M4A2 engine deck.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC
I would just build the M4A3E8 and be done with it. No sense in using 2 kits to build a studio tank when in fact in the movie it was supposed to be the M4A3E8 FORD V-8 powered tank.

Just my opinion... it can be done the other way but more expensive too.

Jeff
fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 09:02 AM UTC
hi all
all I can say at the moment in time is that you will need the tasca Sherman "easy eight" kit as the a full update set is on its way by a resin company, but it will not be called fury as for legalities, so please hold on for a bit.
dave
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I hadnt been back for years...

Now a err..a corny question...which model is the sherman that appears in Fury? Not a sherman expert

grab the new tamiya/tasca offering . Just make sure the lower hull is lined up...be patient with the boogies. Everything else is a breeze.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC
I highly recommend seeing Fury. Made my dad, who hates theaters go and he enjoyed it. The most accurate tank movie I know of.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 11:51 AM UTC
Matt

I can only agree - one of the most, if not THE most graphic and accurate war movie I have ever seen.

Will definitely go and see it again.

Regards

Rob
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 01:06 PM UTC
Am I the only one who was let down by Fury? While it was great to see the Shermans and Tiger in action the film was too Hollywood for me. Especially the climactic battle. I thought Jon Bernthal's character (Coon-Ass) was over the top and, along with the German POW scene, did a disservice to American veterans. Fortunately I've never seen combat but I also think the transformation of Norman from baby faced clerk to cold-hearted killer in 24 hours was a bit extreme.

I could go one, but won't because I've gone off topic from the thread -- for which I apologize. I just couldn't help myself.
darkknight69
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
ok, so the Tamiya is the way to go? I want build with the least amount of fuss and add the crew. On a side note, I thought the German sniper at the end was Brad Pitt at first, and that he had a twin brother and that explained why she spoke German, but when I saw the credits I was wrong, that Sherman vs. Tiger scene was intense
DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They had two "Hero Furies" as they called them. They were FV100 Series vehicles with a Cap to make them look like Shermans...this is per the Movies special features.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They had two "Hero Furies" as they called them. They were FV100 Series vehicles with a Cap to make them look like Shermans...this is per the Movies special features.

Now THAT would make a very unique movie-vehicle!

I think they had to do something similar for the Tiger as well since they only the Bovington real thing for 2 days. Director: "Get all the close-up shots!"
sabreuk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 12:32 PM UTC
if your interested here is my fury build, i used the tasca m4a3e8 easy eight kit, the legend productions 1944 update set which is in fact the fury detail set and afv club track set for the correct tracks as per the movie. i also used the dragon u.s tank crew set to make war daddy which is a far cheaper option than the bravo 6 fury figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAWOFGdt6s

and the completed dio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9daaJMUQsHM
darkknight69
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
very nice build, when i saw the movie, I sa
id look at ll that mud, it willt be hard to weather a diorama
sabreuk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
nah i used real mud and a pva glue mixture and slopped it on you just have to let it dry enough for the mud to go hard and set, et voila much easier than trying to create mud with pigments and sculpting putty etc.
 _GOTOTOP