_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Pebeo and Reeves Oil Colors for Weathering?
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hey guys - another quick question: Has anyone tried either Reeves or Pebeo oil colors to weather their vehicles? I know they're student grade and I know that there are better products out there (windsor, mig, vallejo etc.). I am however running on a very tight budget recently so I was wondering if these two particular paint brands were any good. Thanks.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 06:36 PM UTC
Nigel,
I am sure they are fine paints but I have never heard of either brand, so I can't endorse them. Buy a small tube of black. Mix up some washes and see how it performs. Does it dissolve well and suspend in the mineral spirits? Are the particles extra fine?
Do the wash. Does it flow freely? Does it keep from caking up? Does it keep from leaving pigment debris or shattering in the mineral spirit?
If you get a nice wash and none of this happens, then by all means go get the rest of the set and start working in the wonderful world of oils. You will be amazed at what you can achieve!
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel,
I am sure they are fine paints but I have never heard of either brand, so I can't endorse them. Buy a small tube of black. Mix up some washes and see how it performs. Does it dissolve well and suspend in the mineral spirits? Are the particles extra fine?
Do the wash. Does it flow freely? Does it keep from caking up? Does it keep from leaving pigment debris or shattering in the mineral spirit?
If you get a nice wash and none of this happens, then by all means go get the rest of the set and start working in the wonderful world of oils. You will be amazed at what you can achieve!

Thank you for the feedback Have purchased a ten dollar oil set with 18 different shades. Will try them out over the weekend.
 _GOTOTOP