_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Hobbyboss VK18.01 Early
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
Not up on my panzers so this is my understanding of the early kit is that it builds correctly for the prototype minus the track and sprocket.

The track issue is that it needs be wider 520 vs 500, one can use the VK3001 track from say Friulmodel, Modelkrasten, Spade Ace, or Trumpeter to name a few.

The sprocket issue is 13 teeth vs 16 teeth and no known aftermarket fix.

Is this correct?

Given both issues I will probably just use the kit track and sprocket.

I plan to add a interior wall between the crew compartment and the engine compartment and I am thinking about adding simple details if I have the turret hatch open so I am curious about the paint colors. For the interior colors the engine compartment would be RAL 8012 red primer, the crew compartment would be RAL 7009 grey-green all over (floor and walls) and the turret would RAL 1001 ivory? If I were to add some simple posts for the vision ports those would be in black or ivory? The inside of the turret hatch would be panzer grey to match the exterior?

TIA
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 06:42 AM UTC
What are the realistic possibilities that I put this kit and the Dragon Russian Anti-tank team 42-43 in the same location? Thinking about have the walking team going past the tank with one round having taken out the engine. What would a anti tank round look like? Just a small hole in the rear quarter panel above the fender is what I am thinking of for the kill shot.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eight of the thirty tanks produced were sent to the 1 Panzer Division in 1943 and saw combat at the Battle of Kursk.

- from Panzerpedia Wiki - http://panzerpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Panzerkampfwagen_I_Ausf.F_%28VK18.01%29

In light of this, I would say your scenerio was possible. As for your question of damage, it would depend on what hit it. A non-explosive AP round may have just left a round entry hole, if it didn't start a fire and possibly blow the fuel tank. Damage from any kind of HEAT round would probably be more extensive.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 05:50 PM UTC
My limited understanding is those were the late version done by HB and Bronco and mostly likely not this early version but I don't know. I am thinking the hole on the opposite side of the fuel cap, if I can find it or is this internally fueled? Kinda of which killed the tank: lack of fuel or anti tank round.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
Well, with only 30 built you have less than a 1 in 4 chance that one of them was an early version. Unless someone can come up with a definitive answer, I'd take that chance for your scene.

I found a walk around on line. There's a small flap on the left rear fender that may cover the filler. If it doesn't, then the only other possibility I see would be under one of the large grates on the back deck, but that doesn't give any indication of the fuel tanks actual location.

If you're interested the walk around can be found here: http://scalemodelaircrafts.blogspot.com/2013/10/panzerkampfwagen-i-ausff-vk1801.html
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 04:19 PM UTC
So this project has been off and on. My current problem is I have lost one set of wheels, the spoke kind (IIRC). What if any options are out there for a replacement?
 _GOTOTOP