_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Brass Color
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 11:27 AM UTC
I am doing the Tamiya Nashorn. Marvelous kit with both expended and new ammo rounds. I used MM Brass paint and I am not getting that shiny effect. How do you attain that finish on the rounds?
Thanks
DJ
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 12:16 PM UTC
Google some photos for "Alclad Polished Brass".

Pricey but pretty great stuff.

Jeff
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM UTC
Hi DJ,

Take a look at this build I am doing, the bottom photos show the rounds. If you like them, what I did was mix Apple Barrel craft paint gold with Vallejo Steel. Smooth and shiny without looking like gold leaf!

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/226040&page=1
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:04 PM UTC
Try slapping some clear cotte on them after they dry.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi DJ,

Take a look at this build I am doing, the bottom photos show the rounds. If you like them, what I did was mix Apple Barrel craft paint gold with Vallejo Steel. Smooth and shiny without looking like gold leaf!

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/226040&page=1

That's the effect I am seeking and thank you for the information
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try slapping some clear cotte on them after they dry.

I tried that one without success, how did you do it?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Google some photos for "Alclad Polished Brass".

Pricey but pretty great stuff.

Jeff

Jeff- ouch! Pricey is an understatement.

DJ

PS-- I just ordered it
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC
I saw someone had posted somewhere on the site that, brass being as scarce as it was in late-war Germany, the Germans were making their ammo from steel instead. If you're after accuracy, you may want to check into what the appropraite color should be. [For my part, I tend to favor visual interest--within the realm of plausible--over strict accuracy.]

There are a few types of rub-on or self-adhesive gold leaf foil that might give you the look you're after at a fraction of the cost and effort of Alclad.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw someone had posted somewhere on the site that, brass being as scarce as it was in late-war Germany, the Germans were making their ammo from steel instead. If you're after accuracy, you may want to check into what the appropraite color should be. [For my part, I tend to favor visual interest--within the realm of plausible--over strict accuracy.]

There are a few types of rub-on or self-adhesive gold leaf foil that might give you the look you're after at a fraction of the cost and effort of Alclad.

Mark-- thank you....I wonder if they used something other than brass
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 07:57 AM UTC
DJ,
Think back to those 105mm rounds that you fired off of your then new to you M1 at Yano Range in 1988...

I used Vallejo black gray as a base coat and rubbed some AK Dark Steel pigment to give the casing their metallic sheen...

John
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Speaking of Vallejo, they make a Metallic Bright Brass (71.067) which might provide some interesting possibilities.

—mike
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
Think back to those 105mm rounds that you fired off of your then new to you M1 at Yano Range in 1988...

I used Vallejo black gray as a base coat and rubbed some AK Dark Steel pigment to give the casing their metallic sheen...

John

John-- did the German in the 1944 period use metallic rounds or brass?
thanks
DJ

Ah, yes, Yano Range.....where those hoodlums of yours finally (finally) qualified
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 06:25 PM UTC
Ak-interactive have released a new series of metal wax. Haven't tried it myself though. Saw a video on youtube and it looked pretty good.
http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?acc=Catalog&sacc=view&IDCat=&p=&idp=5554&idc=1
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ak-interactive have released a new series of metal wax. Haven't tried it myself though. Saw a video on youtube and it looked pretty good.
http://www.ak-interactive.com/ecomm/?acc=Catalog&sacc=view&IDCat=&p=&idp=5554&idc=1

Interesting, thanks
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
I believe Humbrol has colors that you buff to a nice luster . Just not sure about the brass color . Just check the brass they have only in metallic colors .
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 06:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am doing the Tamiya Nashorn. Marvelous kit with both expended and new ammo rounds. I used MM Brass paint and I am not getting that shiny effect. How do you attain that finish on the rounds?
Thanks
DJ

Brass or gold model paints have relatively coarse metal particles, that don't look right for scale polished brass. The buffable metallics sold for aircraft modelers are a better bet, though an alternative (if you can find it) is gold printer's ink. It can be thinned with enamel thinner.
The buffable metallic wax mentioned above has been sold in the US under the brand name Rub 'n' Buff for decades. It's available at arts and crafts stores, and comes in a wide range of colors. Not widely known is that it, too, can be thinned with enamel thinner and brushed on. I used to use the silver for worn steel. It can lose its luster over time, though.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
DJ

Brass or gold model paints have relatively coarse metal particles, that don't look right for scale polished brass. The buffable metallics sold for aircraft modelers are a better bet, though an alternative (if you can find it) is gold printer's ink. It can be thinned with enamel thinner.
The buffable metallic wax mentioned above has been sold in the US under the brand name Rub 'n' Buff for decades. It's available at arts and crafts stores, and comes in a wide range of colors. Not widely known is that it, too, can be thinned with enamel thinner and brushed on. I used to use the silver for worn steel. It can lose its luster over time, though.

I appreciate your input. Are you saying that late war Germany produced metallic versus brass casings for ammunition?
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 01:03 AM UTC
I seem to recall that Dave Parker used Gunze Mr Metal Colour brass on the cases of his 1/16 Tiger B in AFV Modeller. It can also be polished and the results looked very good (as does the whole project actually). He also painted some cases as the later war steel type, which I believe were coated with a greenish lacquer. Whether this was for rust prevention or easier extraction I can't remember but the exact purpose is probably of limited relevance if you're not planning a) to make them from real steel and b) to fire them.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ,

John

DJ,
I don't know of the particulars of the 88mm casings in 1944... I used Dave Parker's efforts in the interior of his Tiger B as my reference when I did a 1946 Paper Panzer model that sported a 88mm gun.

John

John-- did the German in the 1944 period use metallic rounds or brass?
thanks
DJ

Ah, yes, Yano Range.....where those hoodlums of yours finally (finally) qualified

Leha12
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 09:36 AM UTC
DJ Judge,

To add to the multitude of products already mentioned - Lifecolor produces a set of acrylic paints for "Guns and Weapons" which includes a "reflecting agent". You apparently mix it in with your paint and when it's dry you have to rub it a bit to buff up the color to give it a metallic sheen. The more you rub the more prominent the effect.

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/lifecolor-guns-weapons-set-22ml-x-6/

Haven't tried it myself though yet.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ Judge,

To add to the multitude of products already mentioned - Lifecolor produces a set of acrylic paints for "Guns and Weapons" which includes a "reflecting agent". You apparently mix it in with your paint and when it's dry you have to rub it a bit to buff up the color to give it a metallic sheen. The more you rub the more prominent the effect.

http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/lifecolor-guns-weapons-set-22ml-x-6/

Haven't tried it myself though yet.

Alexey-- nice! I am seeking the correct color for the anti-tank rounds carried by the Nashorn. Let you know how this turns out
Thanks again
DJ
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
DJ

I appreciate your input. Are you saying that late war Germany produced metallic versus brass casings for ammunition?

I was referring to gold-tone metallics to depict brass, though in the latter half of the war, German artillery and tank ammunition used steel rather than brass cartridge cases. It was heavily greased to prevent rust. I don't have an exact date for its introduction, but it was certainly in use in 1944-45. Old stocks of ammunition would undoubtedly be mixed with new at times, so both types might be seen on the same vehicle.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 04:52 PM UTC
Rust-o-Leum Bright Coat can be found at almost any hardware store and major retail stores. The pigment is so fine, it is invisible. I actually try to tone it down some, as it almost looks too shiny.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks
DJ

I was referring to gold-tone metallics to depict brass, though in the latter half of the war, German artillery and tank ammunition used steel rather than brass cartridge cases. It was heavily greased to prevent rust. I don't have an exact date for its introduction, but it was certainly in use in 1944-45. Old stocks of ammunition would undoubtedly be mixed with new at times, so both types might be seen on the same vehicle.

Well that solves a part of my challenge! Thanks for the response
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rust-o-Leum Bright Coat can be found at almost any hardware store and major retail stores. The pigment is so fine, it is invisible. I actually try to tone it down some, as it almost looks too shiny.

"Rust-o-Leum Bright Coat".....I will certainly look that one up....thanks
 _GOTOTOP