_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Best 1:35 ww2 figures manufacturer?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 07:13 PM UTC
Hi All.

I was wondering which company makes the best 1:35 ww2 figures in terms of best accuracy, crispness of moulding etc? I only know Dragon but I know that there are many other manufacturers out there.

Thanks!
philmmusic
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 08:23 PM UTC
styrene, resin or both???
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 09:36 PM UTC
There's no real answer to this. Masterbox and miniart are possibly my favourites but that's because of the poses rather than anything else. What type of figures are you looking for and also what sort of budget do you have? If money is no object then alpine and stalingrad can't be faulted.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
One good option is to use: MB figures, because of their imaginative poses (very few standing and pointing); replace heads with Hornet heads (with helmets) wherever neccessary; replace weapons/equipment with Dragon Gen2 (if you can still find Gen2). Newer MB figures are an improvement over earlier releases, but could still benefit from some additional scribing and undercutting. Sounds expensive but still cheaper than buying individual resin figures.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 05:58 AM UTC
I usually use Dragon, MB, and Tamiya. Alpine and others like them are fantastic but you pay as much for 1 figure as you might for 4 or 6 from Dragon, etc. I do have an Academy set in my stash that isn't too bad; depends on your budget and what you want to do. I sometimes mix and match figures from different sets depending on context, etc.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
Add another +1 for MB and Miniart. I find myself buying a lot of Masterbox and Miniart figures, they're easy to work with and they have some very original subjects.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC
resin = Alpine...just wish he would sculpt action poses.
Stanlingrad make some excellent figure sets, 10 figures in a set, evolution miniatures also are good.
Dragon, MB,Newer Tamiya..are all good styrene.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 08:30 AM UTC

Hi Mike,

It is very hard to answer. Talking about accuracy, as you say, and not considering price, resin figures are better.
In my opinion: Verlinden and Legend.
And Hornet heads
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
For my moneys worth I'd say MB or Miniart. Imaginatively posed figures, nice detailing and accurate. Dragon are a spent force as regards figures unless you want Germans pointing. Unimaginative figures, standing about doing absolutely sod all. I can't remember the last time I bought anything from DMLas their figure sets are of no use to me. Their newer figures are nicely moulded but in crap positions. I suppose it depends what you want them for really.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my opinion: Verlinden and Legend.

I would be very careful with Verlinden. Sure, they're cheap, but they're also occasionally over-scale (54mm), and sometimes they're just plain garbage!
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys for all the advice. I don't really like the brittleness of resin in such small subjects so I should have mentioned that I'd rather use styrene only.

I have a number of Dragon figure sets and so far I can't really complain about the poses but I do fund such a huge difference between the older DML releases and the newest stuff in terms of detsil and crispness of moulding that its difficult to display the two generations of kits together as the differences become too apparent. I'll try Mini Art...I have my eye on their 101st airborne set though it seems more of a medic scene, I was just put off the brand after seeing the poor quality of a 1:72set of theirs. MB looks good and I've never bought a kit from them so I'll give them a go.
 _GOTOTOP