_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Disappearing Kits
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
All,

Is it me or are allied model kits disappearing?

Recently I've tried to find the M3 grant & Matilda models from tamiya.

I found a great big fat zero instead. Or are kits in the UK getting more difficult to find????

Does anyone one know of a good UK model supplier, unfortunately Hannants do not appear to have much of a choice.

What does anyone else think??
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:49 PM UTC
Tamiya tend to release the older kits in limited runs every couple of years Iknow who you feel as I'm waitng for them to release the sdfkz 7 personel carrier if you hold on Academy are supposed to be bringing out a new grant this year but for OOP kits i'd try here kingkit I'm afraid it's always a case of grab it while you can
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:44 AM UTC
if you know the Number for the Kits I can Check this weekend at my Hobby stores, Since I live in Japan I get them real easily. if you give me the numbers we can work out a deal I am sure.

Jeremy
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
Sorry I know I just bought the matilda this week for 14.00 Dollars Us and the M3 Grant for 16.00, If those are the 2 let me know I will help ya out. Iknow for a fact of one place that has both.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:22 AM UTC
Well, I have a Tamiya M3 Grant and a Matilda. Send me a PM and we can wheel and deal.
DJ
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
OOP kits are particularly hard to find here cromwell, especially down on the broads i expect!

your best bet is ebay, i tend to find most items i want there,

cheers

joe
cromwell
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
Cheers Chaps

For all your comments.

I wonder how much the postage costs to send to the UK from Japan or the US?

I'll message you guys after pay day

On another note; My little boy is mad about the Hulk, I've been trying to get wallpaper border for him but you can only get it in the US at the moment and none of the companies will post to the UK

This is getting so frustrating..................I think I may emigrate
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
ive bought several kits from the US, had them shipped by airmail, costs around £5-10 depending on the weight, but considering the cheaper kit price in america it often works out the same price or cheaper,
usually arrives within 10 days, but not long ago i got something in 2 days!

cheers

joe
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On another note; My little boy is mad about the Hulk, I've been trying to get wallpaper border for him but you can only get it in the US at the moment and none of the companies will post to the UK

I'm working on a movie version of the M1A1 from the recent Hulk motion picture. You looking for those little 5" rolls of Hulk borders?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:41 AM UTC
I have the models you are looking for and a simple PM to me and a trade will get them to you.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:37 AM UTC
This is the reason why I accumulate kits!!! Once they're available I buy them for future construction...
Ciao
(:-) (:-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hmmmm try telling that to her indoors! #:-) some how they just dont understand!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
Cromwell, I just checked Hobby Link Japan, www.hlj.com and they show both of these kits as backordered. When they have them they list them for 8.34 UK pounds plus shipping. You might take up 210cav on his offer to buy them from him using this as a guide. I also seem to remember seeing these on ebay on a pretty regular basis. These are the last two Tamiya WWII UK kits I don't have for my collection and I plan on picking them up in the near future. Fortunately my local hobby shops have them for only a little more than HLJ and I wouldn't have to pay shipping.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cromwell, I just checked Hobby Link Japan, www.hlj.com and they show both of these kits as backordered. When they have them they list them for 8.34 UK pounds plus shipping. You might take up 210cav on his offer to buy them from him using this as a guide. I also seem to remember seeing these on ebay on a pretty regular basis. These are the last two Tamiya WWII UK kits I don't have for my collection and I plan on picking them up in the near future. Fortunately my local hobby shops have them for only a little more than HLJ and I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I need not your money.....I'll trade you for something of equal value. The postage should even out the deal. Try doing that on ebay!
DJ
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:20 AM UTC
Where I am the stores do not carry Italeri Sherman M4A1, Tamiya Early M4 or the Tamiya M4 105mm it except on eBay.

They do have the both Tamiya M4A3 75mm in abundance at well over US$30. They also seem to have quite a few Italeri M4 USMC. Once in a while you will find a Tamiya Jumbo or Italeri Calliope.

My next focus will probably be on LVTs and DUKWs and those kits are rapidly disappearing too and I want to avoid buying them before I am ready.

Looks like eBay may be more model store in the future
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:10 AM UTC
Don't forget that several members of Armorama also maintain online hobby shops. I know Gordon "gkwan" Kwan runs Sprue Brothers (see their banner ad on top of page) as well as Robert "Alpenflage" Burnside has Alpenflage Hobbies.

Who knows, ordering from a fellow Armorama member may be cheaper than other online stores.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget that several members of Armorama also maintain online hobby shops. I know Gordon "gkwan" Kwan runs Sprue Brothers (see their banner ad on top of page) as well as Robert "Alpenflage" Burnside has Alpenflage Hobbies.

Who knows, ordering from a fellow Armorama member may be cheaper than other online stores.

Rob--as I trust you can confirm, Models swaps between Armorama Buddies are profitable. I know that I have received and sent several kits this way Have not been disappointed yet.
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob--as I trust you can confirm, Models swaps between Armorama Buddies are profitable. I know that I have received and sent several kits this way Have not been disappointed yet.
DJ

Yes, I agree. In fact, I probably get more kits through swaps than straight out purchases. I know I've received a Chaffee from you. I was referring to ShermiesRule statement that he does not have a local source of armor. Swaps are ideal when someone has something you want and you have something they want.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi Scott

Your Airfix Mag articles will be posted tomorrow, I took them into work today to make some better copies for a couple of the pages and left them in the desk drawer......doh!!!!

Coincedentally I have ordered a Tamiya M3 Grant and Willys Jeep from Hobby Link Japan, it was shipped on Christmas Day, and should be here any day now, both kits together including freight are costing me £20.50, with the strength of the pound at the moment its cheaper to import kits direct than wait for UK shops to restock.

I also bought the new Dragon Firefly from Great Models it cost £15.20 but the freight was £10.00, but I expect it to be about £25.00 when it finally hits the UK maybe even more

Just remember there is an £18.00 (not including P&P) limit with HM Customs, too much over this and you'll have to pay duty and the Post Office fees and boy do they sting you

If you want any further information PM me and I'll help allI can.

Happy modelling

Ant
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:42 AM UTC
i can personally recommend both gordon kwan, who runs sprue brothers,
and deathorglory (john rauscher),

i have bought items from both these members via ebay, both are great,

cheers

joe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
Ant £25 for the new firefly isnt bad considering all the newer releases by Dragon seem to be around the £33 (hummel)-£35 (t-34) so your still saving a tenner mate
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
those kits are plentiful in the US...check out ebay you might find a European distributor. I saw that 210 Cav is looking for a trade
cromwell
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks Guy's

You have all been very helpful.

I think this stocking up lark may br a good idea for the future.

But as most of us know, it's her indoors that has the final say (well they like to think so) #:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

those kits are plentiful in the US...check out ebay you might find a European distributor. I saw that 210 Cav is looking for a trade

Amigo-- PM me if you folks want to trade....I am an M4 Sherman fanatic!
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP