_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Stripping Acryilic Paint
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
I have some Model Master Paint that I painted on, but I want to strip it off and start fresh. Any advice?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC
From what I understand, once it's curred (acrylics) they are pretty much on there. I recieved a lot of warning about this when I purchased my air brush. They let me know if I don't clean it all out of the air brush I would be in there buying a new one or new parts. They said that enamels can be soaked in thinner to get it out of the airbrush, but there is nothing like that for acrylics.

I hope for your sake there is something that I don't know about, but I thought I would pass on the limited knowledge I had. Gook luck friend.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
Two products can be used for stripping acrylic paints:
Tilex - the stuff used for cleaning bathroom tiles
Easy-Off oven cleaner.

I use the Tilex because I personally think it's safer. No fumes to boot too!
Place the model or parts or whatever is offending into a plastic ziplock type bag or even an old tupperware tub. Spay or pour over the entire piece(s) with the Tilex. Close the bag or tub. Let it sit for about an hour, and be sure to keep rotating or spinning the bag or tub to keep all surfaces wet. Use an old toothbrush and gently scrub the paint off. Most will come off fairly easy. If still more remains put back into bag or tub and repeat. When the paint is removed just rinse in water.
Be careful around small pieces. Some parts will inevitably fall off. Just glue em back on.
I hope this helps.
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
Oh, thanks.
See, I started brushing the paint on, then realized how much it would suck, so I decided that I'm just going to have to buy some more spray cans.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
You might also consider filling a bucket with rubbing alchol (about $4.00 per gallon!) and let the model sit for24 hours... doesn't damage anything, although some weaker glues (white glue, wood glue) will disolve and those parts may come off. Then, use a stiff brush like a toothbrush and have at it! Worked for me several times, and you don't have to worry about "dry spots" because you can just submerge the entire model!- Keith
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
A word of caution, when working with Tilex or oven-cleaner, make sure you wear gloves!

Simon
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 05:25 PM UTC
I used caustic soda and water to strip my early models painted with enamels after curing for 3 months. Should work with acrylics also. add small amounts of caustic soda to start as too much causes a lot of heat in the chemical reaction and can warp your model
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi Nick.
For instant paint removal with no waiting at all, I use
" regular or sometimes extra strength " Nail Polish Remover
Just moisten a q-tip and start rubbing.
Make sure you wash & rinse the model as soon as you are finished
This work's for me, and I haven't yet had any harm come to the plastic or resin.
Oh - on resin I only use regular strength.
- ralph
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC
I warned you my knowledge was limited. I am glad that someone could give you better advice than I did. Hope it all works out for you #:-)
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC
I use easy-off oven cleaner and a ziplock bag. let it sit for a day or 2. at least it works for me

Army
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 02:50 PM UTC
I use easy off oven cleaner (Make sure you use gloves and eyewear and go outside) I let it sit for about 30 minutes and use an old brush to brush away the paint. Sometimes you must use more than one application.. Also use automotive brake fluid the same way...
Hope this helps
 _GOTOTOP