_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-72AV confusion
khurasanminiatures
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 02:34 AM UTC
I recall that the T-72AV is a modernisation of the T-72A, but looking at images of it, it looks much more like a T-72B than an A. The smoke launchers are on the port side of the turret, and more importantly it has the extra armour on the turret roof, I mean the armour that looks like reptile scales which has the circles stamped on it (that might be the way the armour was attached?).

Or were these changes later retrofitted onto As as well, and if so, were they added just to convert in turn to the T-72AV, or were they added years ago to As and then the AV conversion was just the ERA?

While I have your ear, the ERA that is slapped onto the side skirts, when did they start doing that? I don't think it was done initially -- I assume it was done due to vulnerability of the tank to RPG hits from the sides? It can often be seen warping the skirts due to its weight, and it often seems to result in the entire skirt being ripped off if the ERA bangs into a building, wall, telephone pole, etc.

Thanks for any info....
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
The lining on the roof isn't armor but an anti-radiation liner. It was fitted on the outside of the turret since there was no space for it inside. You are correct the A with Kontakt is based on the T-72A turret with some modifications. The smoke launchers were moved to the side of the turret to make room for the Kontakt bricks on the front of the turret. The bricks on the side skirts were a standard feature straight from the factory for the A with Kontakt.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
T-72AV, ERA bricks in a chevron pattern on turret face.
T-72BV, ERA bricks mounted flat to turret face.

Sean
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC
I'm pretty sure that there is anti radiation lining inside the turret.
Maybe not on the roof, I cannot recall nor confirm that now, but there is lining con the turret sides...
Just muy .02
khurasanminiatures
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The lining on the roof isn't armor but an anti-radiation liner. It was fitted on the outside of the turret since there was no space for it inside. You are correct the A with Kontakt is based on the T-72A turret with some modifications. The smoke launchers were moved to the side of the turret to make room for the Kontakt bricks on the front of the turret.

Thanks, did the T-72A tanks eventually get the anti-radiation liner as well? Because model kits I see of the T-72AVs being used in Syria presently all seem to have the anti-radiation liner on them.

Quoted Text

The bricks on the side skirts were a standard feature straight from the factory for the A with Kontakt.

To show what I mean, here's a picture of one that I think was formerly East German:

It's from kampfpanzer.de -- the webmaster says on the T-72AV "Starting in 1983, parts of the available T-72A tanks have been equipped with the new Kontakt ERA. The 151 ERA modules were mounted at turret and hull front only. The ones at the turret front where mounted in a V-type formation, comparable to T-64BV or T-80B. The smoke discharging system has been removed from the turret front and is mounted as one block at the left turret side."

My emphasis.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 07:22 AM UTC
As with any Soviet tank model, it's difficult to say if every build received all the features of a given model. My source says the skirt ERA was standard. On the pic you posted, judging by the paint on the side skirts I'd say that tank had ERA on its skirts at one point. I think I can see some of the mounting points as well. I've never seen mention of the NVA ever receiving T-72A with Kontakt.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC
ERA could be mounted on the side skirts, but crewmen HATED all the work to put them on when they often ended up being pulled off, or falling off on obstacles. This is training mentality here, not war mentality.

Best guide to what you want to know. Read through it, you will find what you are looking for even if the pics are defunct: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1209626008/Overview+of+T-72A+models
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2014 - 05:17 PM UTC
"To show what I mean, here's a picture of one that I think was formerly East German:"

Pretty sure the NVA only ever fielded the T-72M and T-72M1. A good source for T-72 development is Osprey Duel #18 "M1 Abrams vs. T-72 Ural"
check it out.

Sean
 _GOTOTOP