_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Renault FT-17 in the Morocco war 1922
freddietello
Visit this Community
Alicante, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 12:36 PM UTC
In March 1922, 12 FT-17 were sent form Spain to Melilla to serve in the Morocco war. 10 of them had the round turret and had been bought some months before, another one had the octogonal turet and was adquired in 1919 for evaluation, the other one was the only TSF in Spanish service. 3 years late some of these tanks would participate in the firrst multi arms landing in history at Alhucemas.

The Meng kit has been a welcome for the WWI and Spanish civil war enthusiasts, itīs a very nice model that builds easily and has many subtle details, it also includes some photoetched parts and metal springs.

For my model I decided to use the Modelkasten tracks, althoug they have the wrong number of links, the detail is far better than the ones in the kit.

The painting scheme is a derivate of the classic Solomon camouflage and was the one that were using when they came from France

I did some masking for painting the main colours with the airbrush and painted with a thin brush the black stripes. Then I used the splattering technique to create many subtle stains using acrilyc filters.

For the tracks I used a dark chocolate base and pigments of different tones to add some dry mud and dust. A graphite pencil and metallic pigment applied with rubber bar were enough to imitate the polished metal at the constant rubbing zones.

Some oil stains here and there are always a nice touch

The photomontages are made with actual Morocco pictures
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 03:03 PM UTC
Whoa... what can I say? Beautiful first comes to mind!

You can paint mine next please. It's what I think an FT should look like.

Jeff
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC
Your FT looks as good as your downloadable diorama stuff

H.P.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 10:46 PM UTC
Very nice. And now a new set of decals for this period are being released for the FT-17.
freddietello
Visit this Community
Alicante, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. And now a new set of decals for this period are being released for the FT-17.

Hi Bill

Thank you, yes this is the decals set I used, it includes 12 vehicles in Morocco and 7 in the Spanish civil war
 _GOTOTOP