_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Question on modeling a Trumpeter BTR-80
Kasatka
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 1/35 scale Trumpeter BTR-80 and have a question regarding the painting scheme. I plan on following the camouflage patterns used by the Armenian Army, which follows green and sandy brown leafs on a generally brown scheme. Below are some sample photos from a military parade.

My question is what hue of brown paint would best match it to the real vehicle? Trumpeter recently came out with the Scud launcher and also included a scheme for the one used by the Armenian military, but the color they suggest is mahogany, which I am not quite sure of, since it strikes me as a little too dark. What do you guys think?

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi;

When you are not sure of the Paint Color, its best too make A paint Chip on A White Card Stock. Then it Will Help you as which Hue it will bare, ie;) Too Dark or Too Lite !!
When I am not sure, I will Go with A Darker Shade and then add A Touch of A Liter Shade. And this Type of Camo, sceme is Really Hard To Copy in the First Place, also you can make A Photo Copy and take it with you if you have A LHS and try too match it the Best you can. Your Example is Quite A Challenge, and should be Fun.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Kasatka
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 12:50 PM UTC
Say, thanks Mike! I'll definitely try some of the tips you mention. Much appreciated.
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 04:54 PM UTC
Almost looks like Model Master "Dark Tan 30219" (#1742) might be a really good match for that brown.
Kasatka
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC
Thanks, Floyd. I'll try that color as well, and will post up in a few weeks on the progress I've made.
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Almost looks like Model Master "Dark Tan 30219" (#1742) might be a really good match for that brown.

I would agree with Floyds comment above, and would also add that it looks to me like they are all the same colours as used on the USAF SEA scheme over Vietnam??

Nige
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 08:11 PM UTC
Looks close to Tamiya 'Earth' too, if you use acrylics.

Jim
Kasatka
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 08:37 AM UTC
Appreciate the insight, guys
 _GOTOTOP