_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Just got two oil paints-need help
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 08:36 AM UTC
I just bought two new oil paints and a new brush. I got Yellow Ochre and Burnt Umber. I'm wondering what i could use then for, other than when specified in some paint guides. Would I be able to use Yellow Ochre as a stand in for wood color? And is there anything else I'd be able to do with the oils? They're water-mixable, by the way.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 11:41 AM UTC
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/03/stuff_eng_tech_wood_grain.htm
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC
Great looking wood grain on simulated plastic models usually involves oil paint.Yours will work ok, they just do not brush on as easily. Oil paint give you time....more of a creamy consistency that allow you to mimic wood grain with subtle brush strokes.It is what the Masters used on classic paintings?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC
Well, burnt umber is a perfect color to thin down to make washes. You can also do streaking dirt marks.
Yellow ochre can be mixed with black to get all shades of olive drab. It's also a good color for drybrushing.
You may have to look up drybrushing in a history book.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Ok. On the topic of dirt marks... exactly how? As I said I've never used oils before and I could never quite do that with acrylics or enamels. And I've actually been doing drybrushing for a few years now... Nice results with it. I don't see why anyone could be harsh on that technique. It's quite effective for what it's worth.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
Mike,

I made the drybrushing joke because it's a technique embraced by us old timers but it fell out of favor when Mig introduced his first finishing and weathering system.
You can make very convincing dirt streaks down vertical surfaces by putting a pinpoint of oil paint at the top edge of the side. Let it dry a little, then take a flat brush and pull the paint down the side of the vehicle in a long thin streak. Moisture washes dust down vehicle surfaces in dirty streaks.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2014 - 11:55 AM UTC
Actually I'm only 19 so I'd be a young-timer. Been using drybrushing for such a long time now, I don't think I'll stop anytime soon.
And thanks. I'm building a WC-51 so now that ought to come in handy.
 _GOTOTOP