_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Hobby Boss Soviet SS-23 Spider TBM
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I was very happy to discover last week that both Trumpeter and Meng are going to make a new tool MAZ Scud launcher, so I have been searching all over the 'net to find out about these new kits, when I cam across this....

I couldn't find any kits in the UK, so bought this one from Germany on EBay. It arrived yesterday and as there are no reviews of the kit currently, I thought I'd post some pics here for you all to see. This thread will also turn into a blog once I'm finished with my current build... the Roden Kraz 214.

The kit comes to you in a very rigid box measuring 460 x 340x70mm with a very nice glossy painted pic of the 9K714 OKA ready to fire. When searching for reference material, there are a couple of names that should be used to find information... GAZ 6944, 9K714 Oka, SS-23 Oka....etc. This link is pretty good..

http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-183.html

Anyway, back to the kit.. There are a total of 678 parts, including 490 in Tan plastic, 11 Clear, 8 tyres and no less than 169 PE parts on two frets.

The cab roof is moulded as a separate item and features separate hatches, making it easy to show the well detailed interior. There is a lot of scope to add cables and odds and ends to make the drivers compartment really pop..

Note the tyres are probably HB's best effort yet.. shame there's no lettering on them. The two round parts are the tail end of the missile.

Upper body parts.. it's a shame the ejector pin marks are on the upper surface of the missile bay floor.

And, lower body, or is it a hull??

Close up of the crisp detail on the bottom..

Sprue A, there are two of these in the kit..

Sprue B, there are four of these...

Sprue C....

Sprue D...

Sprue E...

Sprue F...

Clear parts.. sorry I didn't want to risk scratching these, so they stayed in their bag...

PE parts on two frets...

This must be the biggest decal sheet out there???

The dashboard instruments will be easy to bring to life with the supplied decals, some paints and a wash.

Every horizontal surface is covered in these vertical "grates" for grip. The ones around the windscreen area are supplied as PE in the kit.

The wheel detail is very nice. Note the cleanliness of the nuts and studs...

So, there we have it, the new Injection moulded SS-23 from Hobby Boss. Brought to you courtesy of my wallet...

Thanks for taking a look...

mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
There should be lettering on the wheels. Check this thread
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
Don't mean to hijack your tread, but I have a build blog going on in the modern armor section. Some info. there might be of interest to you.
Donald
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't mean to hijack your tread, but I have a build blog going on in the modern armor section. Some info. there might be of interest to you.
Donald

Thanks for posting Donald.. you haven't hijacked my thread at all my friend.. I will go look at your blog and enjoy every minute I'm sure!!

I'm wondering how I missed your blog?? I thought I'd looked everywhere for a build of this lovely kit..
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
A lot of people forget to post on here for Russian/Soveit stuff and just put it in the main thread...
 _GOTOTOP