_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Applying liquid latex when painting
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hey guys,

Going forward I want to build another Huey at some point (haven't attempted a helicopter since 2010).

I want to mask the windows and windshield with liquid latex before painting the body.

I have only used liquid latex once, it was a bit of a disaster. What would be the best way to apply the liquid latex to the surfaces I want to mask?

I would greatly appreciate any tips.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thinking back to my aircraft days, I remember latex being a right pain to use for sharp delineation. Masking tape or frisket would be better for getting sharp, clean edges and then covering the rest with latex. Of course the down side to using tape or frisket is cutting. With some luck, there might even be pre-cut masks out there.

Kimmo
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:13 PM UTC
Scotch tape cut out with a sharp exacto knife .
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 06:34 PM UTC
Thanks gents.

The problem I have with masking tape, is that it sometimes dislodges the windows from the frames.

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC
You can mask before you glue the parts in, provided you've got a good idea where the tape goes. If the glass pops in to openings, paint the frames first and then add the glass.

Kimmo
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 05:29 AM UTC
When I built Hueys, I left the glass out until last. I'd paint the interior, fill the interior with Seran wrap to protect its paint. Then I'd shoot the helo drab on the outside. I pulled out all the Seran wrap, everything looked good, and I glued in the windows.
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:38 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Matt. I think I will give that a shot. What is this wrap that you are referring to? I usually use normal masking tape, and often the Tamiya masking tape.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:45 PM UTC
Keigan this might sound a little strange but the thing i use for awkward shapes like air craft glass is a 3 M electrical tape ..this is a very high quality tape ..its very soft..sticks extremely well and yet is easy to remove..i use a brand new No 11 blade to cut it with..you get super fine edges then to and the best thing ..its cheap as hell and a single roll lasts for ages .
Hope this will give you another idea for you painting .
Cheers

Phill
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
Kiegan I'm referring to plastic wrap, like you wrap leftovers or sandwiches in. You don't seal the openings with it; you ball it up and stick it inside the interior to prevent the exterior paint getting in.
 _GOTOTOP