_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Dumb question. Need help with PoP mud
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 11:11 AM UTC
Ok. I know I had been able to do this not too long ago but I forgot how to mix up plaster of paris mud. I tried it twice today so far and both times the batches came up poor. I'm using Dap Plaster mixed 2 parts plaster to 1 part water with some AK Fresh Mud enamel paint applied in. Now, do I put the color into the plaster powder before applying water, after applying water or do I put it next to the powder and mix the water, plaster and paint in at one time? Today I tried the first two and for some reason neither gave me very good results. Maybe I wasn't using enough paint? Or I was using too much? I know I was using too much on the second attempt as I would try to put on the mixed plaster and I would simply be applying paint.
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 05:39 PM UTC
Mixing water and enamel is probably why you aren't getting good results, just mix the 'Fresh Mud' enamel with the dry plaster powder.
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 05:49 PM UTC
It sounds expensive using AK paints to mix with PoP. Try mixing the PoP with some water and cheat Raw Umber acrylic paint first. Use the AK paints when the PoP has dried.

John
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2014 - 09:38 PM UTC
Thanks Ken. It makes sense now.

John, I don't have Raw Umber acrylic paint but I have Burnt Umber oil and acrylic paint. But I can easily and cheaply pick up some large 2oz "tubes" (they're more like large plastic pots of paint) at Walmart for a buck or two.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
Mix that plaster with any acrylic model paint or with latex house wall paints to create mud. Thin with water to get thinner mud for application.

The plaster chemistry only works in water - not in oils - so plaster powder mixed with petrol-based enamels becomes simply suspended grit in the paint matrix, whereas plaster powder mixed with acrylics or even plain old water-colors or tempera paints for color becomes mud plaster and dries to a mud-plaster cake or layer with a dried-mud finish. Using acrylic paints or latex house paints gives the plaster some added tensile strength due to the paint vehicle plastic properties.

PS: drywall compound or PoP mixed with latex house paint also goes on and tools nicely for DIY zimmerit, and can be chipped realistically where desired, AND can be fully-removed with water wash-up if you want to change your mind!

Bob
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
As Bob said, mix the PoP with any acrylic or latex paint. I just said raw umber, because it turns the mixture a nice deep brown. Just remember, it dries to a lighter shade!
Good luck

John
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC
Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

John, I just came back from Walmart looking for some paints. I picked up some Khaki (lost all my Humbrol ) and some "real brown" which is very dark.
 _GOTOTOP