_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Acrylic paint won't adhere
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm building a Heller Alouette III chopper (1/72). (It's made from a white type of plastic that is a bit more flexible than what I've seen before)

I'm using Tamiya acrylics and so far I'm having a horrible time getting the paint to flow evenly and leave a nice thick coat. (I used to use enamels so these acrylics are new to me).

Actually, I'm having the same problem on a Tamiya Japanese Zero that I'm building as well.

I've tried washing the parts with dishwashing soap too, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference.

I have never used primer and, frankly, hope I don't need to - but I'd consider it if absolutely necessary.

By the way, one other thing, I am using a brush (not an airbrush - though I will be using one soon) in case this makes a difference.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

- MonkeyBoy
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
I see two immediate possibilities: First, you may need to ease up on the thickness of each coat. The thick paint is not as flexible as a thin coat. This is one place an airbrush will help.

Second, is there any way you might have gotten oil, or grease on the model? Dishwashing soap will not always take off petroleum based oils. A stronger detergent may be in order (Spic-n-Span works well, here in the US). The thin film of grease/oil will repel the water-based acrylic paint, where the effect on oil-based enamels will not be as apparent.

Good luck. I am sure there will be several other useful responses before too long. This site is great in the way we find the expertise we need in unexpected places.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:33 AM UTC
I think if you prime the model it will be a great help. Since you are in Japan, so it should be easy for you to get Mr. Sufacer 500 or 1000, they are the best IMHO.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:55 PM UTC
I have to agree with the above posts,
When the paint isnt adhearing to the surface its usually the surface have mold release agents on them and needs to be washed. Try regular soap and warm water, scrubb parts with an old toothbrush and then let it air dry, without touching the areas thats going to be painted. If this dont work, prime or airbrush it. Although, with an airbrush using acrylics Im sure that the paint would just "bead" up.
HTH
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to agree with the above posts,
When the paint isnt adhearing to the surface its usually the surface have mold release agents on them and needs to be washed. Try regular soap and warm water, scrubb parts with an old toothbrush and then let it air dry, without touching the areas thats going to be painted. If this dont work, prime or airbrush it. Although, with an airbrush using acrylics Im sure that the paint would just "bead" up.
HTH

I use acrylics solely with airbrush. I had a couple of mishap as Anders had pointed out in my first few airbrushed models, the acrylic got "bead" up. Because I didn't prime the model. Once I got them primed, it pretty much solved the problem. I have another suggestion, I used to go by some instruction/guideline I read from other sites, that I should thin my paint with a 30/70 ratio, I found it to be too thin for acrylic, so I am now making more or less like 55/45, 55% paint, 45% thinner, worked fine for me ever since...HTH

ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:41 PM UTC
Im in agreement with all the above, I use a brush for all my work .Try cleaning
with rubbing alcohol this will also thin paints too. Its a good cheap degreaser
but be careful it will melt some plastics

ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man
brakeet
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 07:00 PM UTC
Please find here some of my tips:

In any case , that strongly recommanded with acrylic paint, wash your model before painting it.

To have a better covering power, add few drops of soap in your acrylic paint.

Next solution, more delicate, take care Wash very very smoothly, really smoothly your surfaces with Trichlorethylene in a well ventilated area. Wash very quickly and with very small part of it on your tissue. Just to remove the glossy aspect of plastic. You have to test on scrap parts.

Other solution: Undercoat your kit first

MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice.

Last night I tried using a little Tamiya paint thinner. It smells just like Isoproply, and has soapy-like bubles in it (a little). I used just a bit. It really seems to have helped the situation.

I guess the problem I had was really a "flow" problem (hey, I'm talking about paint here )

I think the thinner has some glycerine in it that helps the flow.

- Monkeyboy
 _GOTOTOP