_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Rasputitsa Diorama-FINISHED-Pics inside
vivkulan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hello,
Recently finished a diorama depicting the Russian thaw season the Rasputitsa. This is my second armor diorama.
Used Tamiya GAZ-67B kit and figures and the Masterbox Goat. Rest of the features were all scratch built with balsa , and old brush bristles for thatched roof, plaster for mud , wire and plaster for birch tree etc...Hope you all like it.
Attaching pictures.

Vivek
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi Vivek
Good try for a second dio.
Nice layout, the mud is good too.

Did you lost patience when you did the tree? It is not finished and I would advise you to put some more volume on the trunk to hide the wire and also enhance the branches. This is minimalistic work and is pulling your whole work down.

Remember one thing, my very first building was also a stable with a hatched roof, so you might have a diorama career in sight

Greets

Claude
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:26 PM UTC

Hi Vivek,

Good job for your beginning career in dio building!!

That mud really looks like it's sucking every single boot from those guys' feet!

The composition is OK too!! Well done that!!!

However, I must agree with Claude regarding the tree and even the thatching on the roof!! A little more patience and time invested would have worked miracles!!

Now that you've finished the scene, go and take a look at "biriosas" on the net and also search for photos of thatched buildings. I'm sure you will instantly see what we mean!

Also, pay close attention to the measurements of things! Always do the calculation....whatever you have here is 35 times bigger in reality...and then ask yourself if the measurements are OK!

Don't worry, we all went through these problems (and sometimes still do)!

This is why we try to help whenever the old "well known" flaws show up!

Do go on, you certainly are on the right track!! And please keep us posted!!

Cheers

Romain

vivkulan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Vivek
Good try for a second dio.
Nice layout, the mud is good too.

Did you lost patience when you did the tree? It is not finished and I would advise you to put some more volume on the trunk to hide the wire and also enhance the branches. This is minimalistic work and is pulling your whole work down.

Remember one thing, my very first building was also a stable with a hatched roof, so you might have a diorama career in sight

Greets

Claude

Claude,
Thanks for your valuable feedback. As far as the tree's state, I got frustrated after a while due to the plaster's reluctance to stick to the wire frame. I should have taken the time to fix it. But guess I was impatient. Probably impatience is a beginner's quality I guess. Lesson learned to walk away from the table when things don't work as intended.
Regards
Vivek
vivkulan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 05:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Vivek,

Good job for your beginning career in dio building!!

That mud really looks like it's sucking every single boot from those guys' feet!

The composition is OK too!! Well done that!!!

However, I must agree with Claude regarding the tree and even the thatching on the roof!! A little more patience and time invested would have worked miracles!!

Now that you've finished the scene, go and take a look at "biriosas" on the net and also search for photos of thatched buildings. I'm sure you will instantly see what we mean!

Also, pay close attention to the measurements of things! Always do the calculation....whatever you have here is 35 times bigger in reality...and then ask yourself if the measurements are OK!

Don't worry, we all went through these problems (and sometimes still do)!

This is why we try to help whenever the old "well known" flaws show up!

Do go on, you certainly are on the right track!! And please keep us posted!!

Cheers

Romain

Romain,
Your comments gives me more encouragement to refine my techniques. The tree's incompleteness as I mentioned in Claude's response was definitely due to my lack of patience.
The thatched roof reference you mentioned above(biriosas) , I am not sure what that is. Is that's a product line or some reference pics of real thing? Can you point me in the right direction?
As far as the scaling down of actual things , I read some where that it doesn't have to be exactly 35 times smaller , esply when it comes to buildings . Is that's correct.
I struggle with the composition of elements too.. Any guidelines on that...
Warm Regards
Vivek
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi Vivek,

"Beriosa" is russian for birch, so your tree is a beriosa! !

Good choice BTW, the birch tree is extremely popular in Russia, with traditional songs composed for it!!

It is even more prominent in the north of Russia, where whole forests are birch!

The person who stated that a proper scaling down/up EXACTLY 35 times is a wise guy (seriously!) and perfectly right!

What IS important though, is the impression created with the viewer. Basically it MUST look right, that's all!

In real nature we tend to "accept" things as they are, because it's real...in a dio, anything "unusual" basically calls for a justification.
You avoid oddities....you don't have to justify anything. You do include them....better be prepared to show your sources of information.

Vladi from Bravo6 is a master at that game! Everytime someone voices doubts about parts of his figures, he immediately provides the photo he used as a reference...et voilą!!!

The only thing you have to learn is to watch everything very closely outside or/and spend a lot of time on the web. Fortunately there are photos of about everything in the Internet. You just have to find them!

Diorama-building is a constant and lifelong learning process! That's what makes it so fascinating IMHO!! You can be in that "business" your whole life, you'll never stop learning new things!!

So welcome to the wonderful universe of dioramas!!

Have fun!! and loads of it too!!!

And whenever you need something, don't hesitate to ask! There are lots of experts here on the forum that can help!

Cheers

Romain

vivkulan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Vivek,

"Beriosa" is russian for birch, so your tree is a beriosa! !

Good choice BTW, the birch tree is extremely popular in Russia, with traditional songs composed for it!!

It is even more prominent in the north of Russia, where whole forests are birch!

The person who stated that a proper scaling down/up EXACTLY 35 times is a wise guy (seriously!) and perfectly right!

What IS important though, is the impression created with the viewer. Basically it MUST look right, that's all!

In real nature we tend to "accept" things as they are, because it's real...in a dio, anything "unusual" basically calls for a justification.
You avoid oddities....you don't have to justify anything. You do include them....better be prepared to show your sources of information.

Vladi from Bravo6 is a master at that game! Everytime someone voices doubts about parts of his figures, he immediately provides the photo he used as a reference...et voilą!!!

The only thing you have to learn is to watch everything very closely outside or/and spend a lot of time on the web. Fortunately there are photos of about everything in the Internet. You just have to find them!

Diorama-building is a constant and lifelong learning process! That's what makes it so fascinating IMHO!! You can be in that "business" your whole life, you'll never stop learning new things!!

So welcome to the wonderful universe of dioramas!!

Have fun!! and loads of it too!!!

And whenever you need something, don't hesitate to ask! There are lots of experts here on the forum that can help!

Cheers

Romain

Ahh you meant Берёза .... Got it...
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi Vivek ,

it's a cute little diorama for sure ! You did not place everything straight.......don't get me wrong here , your diorama is the way like it should be to create visual depth . No matter which side you turn this diorama you'll always have a three dimensional view. Excellent , good job !

Kurt
 _GOTOTOP