_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M4A3E8
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
I have been asked by a colleague to provide advice an what kit(s) could be used to build an M4A3E8. I have to admit that the oldest vehicle I have modelled is circa 1977, so this one is beyond me. Can anyone help?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:16 PM UTC
Paul--I have the DML M4A3E8 which I think is super. I also built the Tamiya one some years ago and thought it was a well planned kit.
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 08:38 PM UTC
Both kits that DJ mentioned are your best bets, if not your only. I think the DML one is the better of the two as far as accuracy, although a few things would still need to be accuratized. Not a big issue though.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
From what I remember the Tamiya Kit was grossly oversized, closer to 1/32 scale and had sparse detail. Wasn't it also meant to be Motorized. Anyway Cookie Sewell wrote an article for Finscale at the beginning of this year that lists alll of the available Shermans, Ya might want to check there as well.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 09:39 PM UTC
DML makes two versions of the M4A3 with HVSS (called the E8). One a Korean War variant and the other a WW2 variant. Both are very nice kits., the main difference being the tracks (late vs. early type tracks). They also sell the HVSS separately, so theoretically, you could turn any M4A3 or M4A1 into an M4A3E8 or M4A1E8 (yes, they did exist). MP Models also did a cruder, but OK HVSS suspension set. Verlinden did one too.

The old Tamiya M4A3E8 is slightly over-scaled (might be 1/32). I built one for my 5 yr old straight OOB with the motorized treads. It is slightly larger than my DML one and the detail doesn't compare to the new DML one.

DML also makes the 105mm howitzer/flamethrower armed M4A3 Sherman with HVSS. It is called the POA-CWS-H5 (Pacific Ocean Area, Chemical Warfare System). This is a Korean War era vehicle and this kit is readily available.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 10:40 PM UTC
I have been fighting with one of the DML kits myself. I am satisfied with everything EXCEPT the HVSS suspension itself. The problem here is the attachment to the hull, partly a result of DML using a one-lower-hull-fits-all philosophy. In other words, it is common to the VVSS versions, too. the way the attachment is modeled isn't right, and that would be no big deal if that were the only issue as the vehicle has to be turned over to see the flaw. The real problem is that the attachment itself is very weak--not enough surface area to get a really good bond. I've broken at least half the bogies off just in routine handling during asembly. I have set it aside for a while out of frustration. I have an Academy M51 Isherman that I haven't started yet, the hull is basically the M4A1E8. The way the Academy HVSS goes together looks a lot more stout. I'd probably sacrifice one of those kits for the suspension if I did it again. Or wait until Academy comes out with an M4A3E8 themselves. Just my experience...
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
Paul--can I also at this junction encourage you to consult the MMiR "Modeler's Guide to the Sherman." I re-discovered the wealth of information it contains during a recent discussion with Greg. If you are into getting/making an accurate representation of the Easy 8 you might want to consult that handy guide during the pre-construction phase.
DJ
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys, As usual you have all been very helpful. Anything I can do for you, just ask.
 _GOTOTOP