_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Question on Vallejo paints
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:12 PM UTC
How do I tell what colors are "historically accurate"? They seem to name their colors, even the "Panzer Series" colors odd names. With my Model Master enamels the name is on the bottle, usually in German so I know exactly what color I'm buying sometimes even the RAL code is there. I've been thinking of switching to acrylics for sometime now, mainly for ease of use and cleanup. Also, I don't have an airbrush "bay" or any means of ventilation when I spray so acrylics win this category also.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC
Go to Vallejo's website.

Go to their "Downloads" page: Acrylicos Vallejo::Downloads

Double click the paint range you're using, for example, "Model Air": Acrylicos Vallejo::Downloads::Model Air

On page two of this pdf. file is a chart with the Vallejo color codes and other equivalent codes (RAL, FSN, RLM, Tamiya, Gunze, Testors, etc).

There are similar pdf.s for all of the Vallejo color ranges.
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi Russel.
I recently switched to Vallejo Air for the same reasons and I am very happy with them. If you go to their page and look at their PDF site, you will see that all the colors (at least all the colors relevant for modelling) have either FS or RAL codes on them. You are mentioning Panzer series. I believe that you had Panzer aces series of colors in mind. They are mainly for figure painting and uniforms. Check out Vallejo Air (ready for airbrushing) and Model Color category.
Hope this helps.
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
I went ahead and ordered the German wa2 starter set of Vallejo air from squadron and looking at their color range on their website it doesn't show several colors which are included in the set. Tank brown? Tank green? Which colors would those be? Also comes with light green camo and German green, dark yellow and a couple others. Not sure what shades the greens and browns will be though.
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 10:36 PM UTC
Oops didn't see the air pdf I was looking at the standard model color range haha I also ordered some white paint, some gloss and matte varnish and some airbrush flow improved. Don't know if that's needed but what the heck. Any colors you guys recommend that I didn't list? Maybe some different grays or tans? And can I spray windex through the brush to clean it?
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 12:03 AM UTC
For cleaning I personally use their AB cleaner and it works like a charm.
Don't put too much of airflow improver (I add a drop or two just for large sessions). While spraying, often clean the tip of the needle with a q-tip dipped in cleaner or alcohol as acrylics dry much much faster than enamels.
Hope this helps.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
ScaleHobbyist has a really good search engine for comparing Vallejo colors. Example: Type in "vallejo grey" and see what pops up!

Vallejo has so many colors and some of them do tend to overlap. I recommend, once you've built-up a basic arsenal, try mixing your own colors as well — it'll get you by in a pinch if you don't have a hobby store nearby.

Here's another recommendation: Vallejo Airbrush Thinner (71.161)
 _GOTOTOP