_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
panther steel wheels
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 03:49 PM UTC

Here some picsofmy panthersteel wheels; I took these pictures to pick up what has still to be corrected, I will insert a couple of other details but it is almost finisihed.

Any comment / criticism / suggestion is welcome !

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 06:25 PM UTC
Beautiful paint job on the figures. The whole scene looks really good.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 07:15 PM UTC
That is amazing! What scale is it?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 07:37 PM UTC
This is your usual high standard of painting/finishing for sure!! The tank is wonderful and I like it because it is not too chipped/rusty as this tank,at this time during the war,would have been in service for a very short time. Accurate.
The figures are expertly painted as well. If you are looking for a small critique,I would say they are a little too "clean". Maybe a bit of dirt here and there? The cammo on the winteranzugen is spectacular so maybe you don't want to dirty it up?
Also,the guy pointing doesn't seem to match the gaze or line of sight of the commander. He looks like he is looking down too much?
These are very small things but they caught my eye straight off so.....
Overall spectacular work amichi mio,
J
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is amazing! What scale is it?

1: 35
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is your usual high standard of painting/finishing for sure!! The tank is wonderful and I like it because it is not too chipped/rusty as this tank,at this time during the war,would have been in service for a very short time. Accurate.
The figures are expertly painted as well. If you are looking for a small critique,I would say they are a little too "clean". Maybe a bit of dirt here and there? The cammo on the winteranzugen is spectacular so maybe you don't want to dirty it up?
Also,the guy pointing doesn't seem to match the gaze or line of sight of the commander. He looks like he is looking down too much?
These are very small things but they caught my eye straight off so.....
Overall spectacular work amichi mio,
J

Your comments are absolutely right... I will add a (little) dirt on the pants and shoes with pigments.

I have also considered to change the head of the commander to get a better aligment of the two gazes, but I am afraid it will be easier to redo completely the figure.... Simply moving it is almost impossible... I will think about, thanks my friend
joepanzer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 803 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
That is truly incredible for 1:35!! I wish I could get 1/16th to look that good!
I wouldn't worry too much about the slight difference of the gaze. depending on where the object is that is being pointed at, the eyes couldbe pointed in different directions.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC
Luca

Brilliant work! I'd be happy if I could achieve that level of finish, particularly on the figures.

Only two things that I could think of:

1. I believe German WW2 fire extinguishers were usually dark blue, dark green, or dark grey, not dark yellow.
2. The waffenfarbe on the commander's cap should be pink, not red, but that could just be the lighting.

Would I be correct in assuming that the rank badges etc on the figures are from Archer?

Regards

Rob
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 04:52 AM UTC
FANTASTICO! especially the figures.

Joe
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
It looks good. The right side/ back of the diorama roadwheels don't appear to be touchung the tracks though. I do like the inclusion of the 'standard' wheel; not sure if that was a possibility though, still a nice bit of variety though.

I also noticed the front facing periscope on the turret seems to be floating just so slightly; the commanders cupola is too.

I like the figures; but agree on the commmanders face, but he's still well done. The paint colors are pretty vibrant yet have a nicely weathered look to them. The inclusion of the fire extinguisher placard and hull serial number are nice too.

I do think what is a pretty late production Panther passing a T-34/85 is a bit optimistic considering the time frame. The first photo does have a nice, 'action' feel to it though.

Well done all around.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
Yeah the issue with the angles on the two guys heads, but that's practically nothing when you consider just how great this whole piece is. I see where Christopher is coming from, but the Germans were always counterattacking and inflicting considerable losses on the Russians up to (and in a few cases, after) VE day.

So, basically, awesome work, and I'm looking forward to the next one.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 02:07 PM UTC

Thanks to all.

Fire estinguisher were also dark yellow:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1213976377/Color+of+Fire+extinguisher

here a picture of a Panther SW with a rubber rimmed wheel added:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617084

The cupola is actually floating, it is not yer fixed because I am planning to change the commander figure, I will fix it at the very end..

The wheel not touching the ground has been fixed, I piced it up with the pictures...
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC
Ah, I hadn't considered your attempts to add or fix the commander figure.

Thanks for the link to the Panther photo, good stuff. As far as the different colored fire extinguishers, I've also red there was a dark blue color as well as what was shown on that thread.

Looking forward to seeing your fixes on the commander.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to all.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1213976377/Color+of+Fire+extinguisher

G'day Luca

OK, I stand corrected - thanks for that. I will definitely save that link.

Regards

Rob
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to all.

The cupola is actually floating, it is not yer fixed because I am planning to change the commander figure, I will fix it at the very end..

The wheel not touching the ground has been fixed, I piced it up with the pictures...

Nice pics. Have you any idea where the second Panther was photographed? Number 225? I can't be sure in this pic if it has the hooked metal pieces welded onto the turret for spare tracks. This would make it from LSSAH as far as I know and the river looks a lot like the Ambleve near Stavelot. The numbers don't make sense though as the steel wheeled tanks were issued to the platoon leaders and company chiefs in that unit.
J
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:38 PM UTC
Truly superb work! My only point of contention has to do with the spare tracks. Being as how the Germans used a very robust black lacquer, would they have been so rusty for the short period they were fielded?
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks to all.

Nice pics. Have you any idea where the second Panther was photographed? Number 225? I can't be sure in this pic if it has the hooked metal pieces welded onto the turret for spare tracks. This would make it from LSSAH as far as I know and the river looks a lot like the Ambleve near Stavelot. The numbers don't make sense though as the steel wheeled tanks were issued to the platoon leaders and company chiefs in that unit.
J

Here what I find on the 225. I didn't make any research on it, I simply get the idea of putting one rubber rimmed wheel among the steel ones... I tend to avoid to build a specific tank, to be a little bit more "free" in my work...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1061858016/11th+PD+panther+225
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
Ahhh,
Thanks Luca.
J
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Truly superb work! My only point of contention has to do with the spare tracks. Being as how the Germans used a very robust black lacquer, would they have been so rusty for the short period they were fielded?

For the spare tracks, you may be right, I used Mig Jimenez worsk as an example basically because I liked the effect... spare tras could be recovered from destroyed / burned tanks, so it is hard to be what is right or wrong...
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 09:19 PM UTC
Very Cool !!! Your Camo Painting Is Awesome.

mil
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very Cool !!! Your Camo Painting Is Awesome.

mil

Thanks, I have made same changes, since I was mot fully satisfied...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/229182#1930771
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC
Not meaning that it wasn't possible. I just wanted to know, before I finish a couple of builds. Applying rust is much fun.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks to all.

J

Here what I find on the 225. I didn't make any research on it, I simply get the idea of putting one rubber rimmed wheel among the steel ones... I tend to avoid to build a specific tank, to be a little bit more "free" in my work...

Your assembly and painting are superb.
The photo does show up one technical problem, though. It looks like you used the Tamiya kit of the steel-wheel Panther, rather than Dragon's, and Tamiya got the size of the steel wheels wrong, based on a typographical error in Walter Spielberger's book, Panther and its Variants. They should be the same size as the rubber rimmed wheels. It's usually not that obvious on the completed kit, unless you mix a rubber-tired wheel in.
durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks to all.

J

Your assembly and painting are superb.
The photo does show up one technical problem, though. It looks like you used the Tamiya kit of the steel-wheel Panther, rather than Dragon's, and Tamiya got the size of the steel wheels wrong, based on a typographical error in Walter Spielberger's book, Panther and its Variants. They should be the same size as the rubber rimmed wheels. It's usually not that obvious on the completed kit, unless you mix a rubber-tired wheel in.

I used dragon rubber rimmed wheel, included in the same box of the Dragon SW versions, and according to my information (Jenz and Doyle), the steel wheels version of the tank was lower than the rubber rimmed one, because of the smaller size of SW.
 _GOTOTOP