_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
future floor wax?
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 08:46 PM UTC
1st time trying to spray my model with future,question,do you guys recommend spraying the entire tank?wheels,treads?or just the upper body where the decals will be placed?do you recommend thinning the future?

heres my plan

spray future
micro sol
apply decal
micro set
spray future
wash
dullcote
weather drybrush

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 09:38 PM UTC
I recommend painting the Future on, with a fan brush. I thin the Future 3:1(wax:water) and apply several cotes, allowing 15-20 minutes between applications.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 01:25 AM UTC
I airbrush it "neat" (i.e. un-thinned) and only where I'm putting the decals. I allow this to dry over night as I have noticed that some decal softeners will make the Future "cloudy" if it's not fully dried.

(I don't know which decal setting solution I'll use until I start putting the decals on. I generally start with the mildest solution, Micro Set, then move on to Micro Sol, and then Testor's Decal Setting Solution depending on if the decals won't soften to my liking. I also mix and match and make my own decals, so often, I'll have decals with 2 or 3 different kinds of film on them, some requiring more aggressive setting solutions and some that are good with milder solutions. Allowing the Future to dry fully cured is just good insurance for me.)

After I apply the decals and they are dry (again, over night), I overspray them with another 1 or 2 coats of the Future to blend the edges of the decal film into the finish. I allow each coat of Future to dry to the touch before the next coat.

After the blending layers of Future dry overnight, I airbrush Testor's Dull Coat thinned with ordinary lacquer thinners.

But... These are just my techniques. Other strokes for other folks, and all that. If you're in the finishing school that likes to apply washes over all glossy coats, then it makes sense to apply the Future overall. However, I weather over flat coats, so that is not an issue for me. I'd rather apply less paint whenever possible as a general approach.

Less is more when it comes to paint on scale models. It's entirely too easy to apply very heavy color and clear coats if you're not careful, and this heavy paint obscures details and often sets you up for other problems likes runs, orange peel, blobs and puddles, etc.
 _GOTOTOP