_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint Cure time?
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 01:31 AM UTC
How long do you guys let your finished models sit before spraying future floor ?1 week?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
It depends on a few things. What paints were used? What is the temperature and humidity? What was the mix ratio? Generally, I sprayed with Tamiya acryls and allow the paint to cure for 24 hours. I allow 48 hours for enamels and 72 hours for lacquers. If I'm using true acrylics, I still allow at least 24 hours.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Usually just overnight for all types of paints.

I also let the Future cure overnight before I put decals on. Then I allow the decals to dry overnight before I put the second or third coats of Future on to blend the decal edges or film into the finish.

Once again, I allow those coats of Future to dry overnight before I airbrush Testor's Dull Coat on. I generally allow the Dull Coat to dry overnight, too.
flyers42
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
do you use the micro sol/set kit or something similar over the future?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC
I regularly use "Micro Set," "Micro Sol" and the Testors "Decal Setting Solution" and "Decal Solvent Solution" over surfaces that have been gloss coated with Future.

HOWEVER! The Testors products are much more aggressive than the Mico-Sol products and must only be used over fully cured Future. I only ever use the Testors products if the Micro-Sol or Micro-Set won't soften the decals as much as I want.

If the Future is not fully cured, the Micro-Sol or Micro-Set will cause it to become slightly "cloudy" which will dry out as both the Future and Micro-Sol cure (usually overnight).

BUT! If the Testors products are used over Future that's not fully cured, they will sometimes cause the Future to dissolve and lift. When this has happened for me, I've immediately stopped doing anything and just set the model aside to cure overnight. The next day, the Testors decal solutions can still be used, and then after the decals have fully dried, additional coats of Future have blended the mistake into the finish with all traces disappearing after the Dull Coat.

Future's pretty much "bullet proof" IF it's allowed to cure hard. I've found that allowing it to dry overnight has always been enough. Less than that, and the issue can become problematic.
 _GOTOTOP