_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
AK Interactive and Ammo paints mixable?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
Like the title says, can I mix the two? Is the thinner of one good to use with the other? Or should I buy all my paints and thinners from one or the other?

Hisham
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
just try it by mixing 2 drops
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC
No, I know it sounds like a silly question, but the reason I'm asking is because I stopped modelling for a while and I've started again now and I found most of my Vallejo paints have dried up completely, so I'm going to have to start buying some paints.. and like some stores have some from both brands on sale and I want to know if I have to just stick with one brand.. AND I only have a couple of bottles from AK, but none from Ammo to try with them... I don't want to order a bunch of paints from both brands.. and then find out that they can't be used together

I'm really not that inept

Hisham
csago
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 04:16 PM UTC
You must know that from last december AK-INTERACTIVE paints have a new formula and are from different factory than the old AK ones (the AMMO factory is the same of the old AK paints), so maybe be some problem mixing both brands...So my advice is first make experiments...
Mig_Jimenez
Visit this Community
La Rioja, Spain / España
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 04:40 PM UTC
Hello Hisham

Well, since 1995 I was testing paints for Vallejo, thenI créate many ranges of paints, developing different types of colors MIG Productions, AK and AMMO.
Also I used many Life color paints and of course all kind of laquer paints as Tamiya, Mr Hobby and many other. The conlcusion is that you always can mix same type of paint, specially if you work with brush. Vallejo and life color are mixabel...or AMMo and Vallejo...of course.... but the problem willc ome when you try to use in Airbrush. Vallejo Have give many problems during years due his formulation....and they develped differnet thinners to fix the problems. Life color always worked well...but the thinner they provide I don't like!!! Each paint have a different propierty, but can be mixed among them without any problem. But if you want the maximun performance, then is better to use only a Brand and following their recomendations. A different history can be mix Acrylic Tamiya paints (Which is not real acrylic by a kind of laquer) with any real acrylic paint like AMMO or Life Color.

From my side, since we started 1 year ago with AMMO, we have improved a lot our paints and right now they Works very smooth. They paints we produced are used by my self in my models, so...if some day you ahve nay doubt, I can help you if you need me.

Thank you very much

MIG
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 05:13 PM UTC
Hi Mig,
we love selling your paints at our shop. They sell like hot cakes! Trying to keep in stock is hard. Ha ha ha.

Keep up the good work,
Cheers,
Tom
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
Thanks a lot, Mig.. especially for taking my question seriously and giving me a good explanation

Like I said, I have to order from overseas and wait a month, if not more sometimes.. so, I have to order a number of paints. Can't just run down to the store whenever I need a certain color... So, I guess I should just make my whole order from one brand

Thanks again
Hisham
 _GOTOTOP