_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M24 road wheels help
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:51 AM UTC
I'm stuck with my M24 since I decided to cross check with my reference pics if everything was ok. What I've noticed is that the sprocket is not bad, but the roadwheels are totally different from the "correct ones". The idler wheel looks acceptable too. Do you have any workaround or aftermarket set to suggest me?
Thanks in advance for your time.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
I too am working on the M24. I used Steve Zaloga's article in Military Modelling as a guide for correcting the M24. I used Road wheels from Tamiya's M41 and Idler wheels, drive sprockets and tracks from Fruilmodel. I also used Royal Model and Eduard PE and a Jordi Rubio barrel. Hope this helps.

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
I will have the Tamiya M41 suspension as excess since I have the AFV Club replacement M41 suspension on hand.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Rob--- is the Tamiya M-41 set the correct roadwheels for the Italeri M-24?
thanks
DJ
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:27 AM UTC
I think the best solution is to go with the AFV replacement set ...sure adds a bit to the kit but will show in the end...

Rick
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:42 AM UTC
Thanka everybody for your replies.
MGard: the tank itself is already completed and I did quite a bit of detailing on it

more can be seen , if you're interested in, here . Anyway thanks for your input.

Rob: if you've got them as excess and you're not planning to use them for other projects, and you want to sell or trade them it would be great!!! Just let me know. By the way what's your impression on the AFV suspensions? I've got several Chaffees and I could be interested in buying a couple of them.
Ciao

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
I am drooling over your workmanship. What else did you do to the basic turret? I am looking at the mounts for the machine guns and trying to figure out either what you used or what you did....I have the Tamiya M41 for trade!
thanks
DJ.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What else did you do to the basic turret? I am looking at the mounts for the machine guns and trying to figure out either what you used or what you did....I have the Tamiya M41 for trade

DJ: if you want to see it deeper in detail pse follow the link I indicated before. What I used it's mainly copper to detail the turret, either foil or tubing...
For what concerns you whole M41 to trade is just that I don't know what to do with all the rest of the tank, as I only do Italian Cavalry subjects... Thanks anyway for your offer!
Ciao
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob--- is the Tamiya M-41 set the correct roadwheels for the Italeri M-24?
thanks
DJ

I haven't a clue. I plan on building my Chaffee with just Eduard PE and the barrel DJ gave me.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I've noticed is that the sprocket is not bad, but the roadwheels are totally different from the "correct ones". The idler wheel looks acceptable too.

Gee, Fabio, I always thought the road wheels looked OK. Not perfect. but real close. I think the idler is WAY off and the drive sprocket can use some help, too.

The idler shoult have rather large lightening holes around the inside of the rim. There isn't even enough room to drill your own. Same with the drive sprocket -- no lightening holes and that sink hole in the middle of the hub is just begging to be filled or covered with a disk.

I'm looking at the Squadron M24 Chaffee in Action. I have other references that I know look the same. What are you using for reference? Are the pics of a post-war or modified M24?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Yes Bob, I'm using reference pics of post WWII Chaffees in service with the Italian Cavalry...
Ciao
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
Fabio: Thanks for clearing that up.

Not sure if this helps you, but it may help someone. Here's a link to a review of the AFV Club M-41 suspension on the Perth site: http://www.jbwholesalers.com.au/reviews/afvclub/afv35045.htm

According to Terry Ashley's review, the road wheels are correct for the M24, but the idlers and drive sprockets are not.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Bob!!! Interesting link.
Ciao

_GOTOTOP