_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Making a Wehrmacht zeltbahn poncho
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:12 AM UTC
So I'm weighing the possibility of trying to make my own poncho for a 1/35 figure. Seems like something that's very straightforward, yet easy to screw up hahaha.

This is the style I'm going for:

Anyone out there do this before and are willing to explain it? I'd love the help.

Thanks!

-Conor
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi Conor,

Making a scale Zeltbahn isn't that hard, you just need the right tools and a bit of highschool geometry, and you're good to go.
A Zeltbahn isn't exactly triangular. It actually has 6 sides, like a triangle with the points cut off.
This is quite clear in this picture, copied from www.mp44.nl

Now to the construction of the Zeltbahn.
First step: Tools:

I took the dimensions and scaled them to 1:35.
Draw a line, 77 mm long on a piece of white paper, make sure to mark the middle of your line.

Measure 70 mm with your compass

Put the point of your compass at the start of your 77 mm line and draw an arc.

Put the point of your compass at the other end of your 77 mm line and draw a second arc that intersects your first arc.

Connect the ends of your line with the point where the 2 arcs intersect. You should now have a triangle with side lengths 77 mm, 70 mm, 70 mm.

Connect the middle of your first line with the "top" of your triangle.

We now need to measure where the head will go through. Measure 22 mm and 33 mm up from your "bottom" line. Mark these 2 points. This is where the hole for the head goes.
(ignore the other little lines I drew for now. I'll explain them later)

Put a piece of crepe paper over your drawing and mark the corners, and the middle of the bottom line with a pencil.

Use your ruler and connect the dots.

Mark where the head goes.

As I mentioned earlier, the Zeltbahn is actually 6 sided, so we need to know where to cut off the points of the triangle.
Starting at the top: The piece I cut off is approximately 2 mm long, and extends equally to both sides of the center line. The right and left corners are approximately 5 mm long and extend perpendicularly from the bottom lines until they reach the side lines. This should give you a bottom length of about 71 mm and side lengths of about 60 mm. This fits well with the real dimensions of 2500 mm and 2100 mm.

Soak in a mixture of white glue and water and fit it to your figure. If you really want to go all in, remember there are 11 holes and grommets along each of the side edges.
Hope that helped.

John
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 05:06 PM UTC

Hi Conor,

John's post is super detailed and couldn't actually be better!

If you really want to do the holes, you can do so after the white glue has hardened out completely. All it takes is the right needle and there you go!

The rings can be painted on!

Cheers

Romain

iguanac
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 05:52 PM UTC
you could just use existing subject like:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/457
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 09:22 PM UTC
The real hard part is painting the camo patterns!
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 10:21 PM UTC
Ok, it's not a zeltbahn, but the splinter camo pattern is the same in this feature - http://www.plasticarmour.com/rob_matthews_uniforms.html

Gary
 _GOTOTOP