_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Paint brush issues???
abbatoys
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:11 AM UTC
I just gave figure painting my first try on a set of German soldiers and I am less than impressed with my start. I washed them, dried, then gave them a coat of Tamiya gray spray primer. I stirred up Tamiya Field Gray paint and when painting it on the uniforms, it kind of thinned itself out too much unless I really globbed it on and barely spread it out. I am wondering if it was my paint brush that caused this more than the paint. It is a 5/0 unk brand. Any brush recommended sizes or brands... Thanks, Scott
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC
1) Tamiya does very poorly with a brush unless you're an alchemnist with their proprietary thinner.
2) Always use really good brushes, Kolinski Sable are teh best but hard to get in the US right now. High end regular sable will be a decent compromise. Don't waste you money on dollar a dozen brushes.
3) Consider a paint line designed to be brush applied: Vallejo, Andrea, Citadel, Games Workshop.
4) Use your airbrush to apply paint to larger areas and a fine brush to highlight and shade and pick pout details.
Szmann
Visit this Community
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi, Scott. Based upon your description I guess that: you used acrylic paint directly on plastic with a pressure set too high. I don't think the airbrush is the problem, but the settings or the distance you've tried to spray on. My recommendation is to spray some primer first, very thinly, let it dry, and only after use acrylics on it (my usual setting is 15-20 psi for thinned acrylics). I hope this helps. Warm Regards.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
I agree, try your hand at some other brands, and decent paintbrushes ;last and give better results. Im a fan of vallejo myself though you have to be very careful handling.
Eric.
 _GOTOTOP