_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
US Infantry WWII
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC
I'm looking for some quality, 35 figures of US infantry, from WWII. I need them to be in action. Other than Tamiya, I can't seem to find any. I prefer styrene, but will consider resin. I will be mixing them with Dragon figures and would prefer not to have any giants or midgets(depending on how you look at it).
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
Master Box has 3 previous sets of D-Day/Normandy era GI's in action poses, as well as a soon-to-be released set of a further 7 figs.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:22 PM UTC
Matt

DML has several sets. The ones which spring to mind are Advance to the Rhine, US Armoured Infantry (released with M2 halftrack) and US 29th Infantry Division D Day (which have moulded on life preservers if I recall correctly).

Other sets which spring to mind:
* US 10th Mountain Division
* US Tank Riders
* US Heavy Weapons Team (bazooka, MG and mortar)

The US Armoured Infantry set is Gen 2 and quite good.

Regards

Rob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 02:49 PM UTC
I know of DML's armored infantry. That set I will be using. I saw one set from MB. Other than the armored infantry, I don't see any of the soldier's poses being as though they were in combat.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
1. http://www.mbltd.info/3521.htm
2. http://www.mbltd.info/3520.htm
3. http://www.mbltd.info/3519.htm
4. http://www.mbltd.info/35130.htm

4 masterbox sets with D-Day era US infantry in combat poses.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
The DML U.S. 101st Airborne Division Bastogne set has one good action pose and couple pensive, "man Im cold and I hope theres no germans here"
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 02:18 PM UTC
Alex: Thanks for the links.

Eric: Unfortunately, those figures don't appear to be in combat.
Canjuaan
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 05:13 PM UTC
Matt, Nemrod have some impressive GI figures in combat poses. They are resin, though. You can find some impressions in this gallery: http://www.historex.com/galerie.html
See also: http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=92303
And here you can find the single products: http://www.exter-company.com/index.php?stoken=708F59F&force_sid=&lang=0&cl=search&searchparam=&searchcnid=uu01674197f5581d1bdddd477e78837c&searchmanufacturer=82f04d59703565c1a32deca9d4796e70

I have them myself and can highly recommend Nemrod.

Hope this helps,
Johannes
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 07:37 PM UTC
Johannes: Those are nice figures. Unfortunately, those figures are airborne. I need basic infantry. The last link you posted shows some possibilities, but I am operating on a budget. I can't afford one resin figure that costs the same as four to five styrene figures.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt one is kneeling taking aim with his M1. I'd say your best bet is to kit bash some figures, may take a bit of basic sculpting to make the limbs work out, fill in some gaps. You mentioned Tamiya kits in your OP, they're probably your best bet still. I've had a dio on the back burner for a while with US troops in heavy combat, sadly choices are somewhat limited.
Eric.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Matt one is kneeling taking aim with his M1. I'd say your best bet is to kit bash some figures, may take a bit of basic sculpting to make the limbs work out, fill in some gaps. You mentioned Tamiya kits in your OP, they're probably your best bet still. I've had a dio on the back burner for a while with US troops in heavy combat, sadly choices are somewhat limited.
Eric.

Why is Tamiya my best option? I would prefer to buy MB or a different dml set, that I don't have to modify and are of excellent quality.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:16 PM UTC
There are the four MB sets that myself and Youngun have noted. They seem to be your best (and only) bet. However, you didn't say if you wanted GI's in Parson's jackets (early), or M1943 uniforms (late). The MB figures don't quite have the quality of Dragon (if you want to use Dragon as a standard), but can be improved with some undercutting, and the addition of Hornet, etc, heads - if you can afford them (generally 5 heads for $10 - $12). Dragon Genll equipment will also improve, but is further escalating your budget!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:19 PM UTC
WOW! Hornet prices have really gone up! $17 CAN now for a set.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eric.

Why is Tamiya my best option? I would prefer to buy MB or a different dml set, that I don't have to modify and are of excellent quality.

Honestly the Tamiya US assault infantry set is pretty good, Id say the moulding is better than the MB kits and they have a real sense of urgency to them. The the figs in the sherman kits are well done and very animated. MB take work to get looking good, the heads are awful and Ive found the weapons to be kind of roughly done, also watch out for the canteens with the crossed straps, save them for your Marine figs. Dml are great, but limited in scope for "action" poses. I agree with Biggles on the Hornet heads, but $17 ? ouch. They're amazing though.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eric.

Honestly the Tamiya US assault infantry set is pretty good, Id say the moulding is better than the MB kits and they have a real sense of urgency to them. The the figs in the sherman kits are well done and very animated. MB take work to get looking good, the heads are awful and Ive found the weapons to be kind of roughly done, also watch out for the canteens with the crossed straps, save them for your Marine figs. Dml are great, but limited in scope for "action" poses. I agree with Biggles on the Hornet heads, but $17 ? ouch. They're amazing though.

I have the Tamiya one in my stash.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Honestly the Tamiya US assault infantry set is pretty good, Id say the moulding is better than the MB kits and they have a real sense of urgency to them.

I would agree to disagree on this. The Tamiya figures are around 30 yrs old and show it - too much molded on equipment. IMHO the MB figs are better. The Tamiya figs are OK for backgrounds.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Honestly the Tamiya US assault infantry set is pretty good, Id say the moulding is better than the MB kits and they have a real sense of urgency to them.

I would agree to disagree on this. The Tamiya figures are around 30 yrs old and show it - too much molded on equipment. IMHO the MB figs are better. The Tamiya figs are OK for backgrounds.

Im talking about the set from 95, not the ancient 70's one.
Don't mean to flog a dead horse, and my personal favourite for figs are either DML or Alpine, but Ive found these to be better than one expects from Tamiya. review

Anyway Matt, best of luck!
Eric.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't mean to flog a dead horse, and my personal favourite for figs are either DML or Alpine, but Ive found these to be better than one expects from Tamiya. review

Anyway Matt, best of luck!
Eric.

I have the new set. It was one of my firt purchases, upon returning to the hobby. They just done stack up against modern figures.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric.

I stand corrected. But I still don't think they are any better than MB, although compatible ones could still be mixed with them.
 _GOTOTOP