_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain Dozer Question
duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi,
I want to do a chieftain with dozer as a Christmas project.
I have the AA dozer blade but have a query.
Does the blade on this vehicle move at an angle in relation to the hull like a grader blade or fixed like a dozer. It is a little unclear to me and not a lot of photos out there. The instructions seem to show it oblique but can't find much else to support that, remarkable in real life if this does occur.

Thanks
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 10:55 AM UTC
Scott .... The answer to your question is nope ,,the mounts for this blade only allow it to move up and down like a bulldozer ..the dozer on the Chieftain dozer looks very very close to the unit used on the M 60 MBT as the mounts are nearly identical and the mounts work in exactly the same way .up and down only .

Cheers

Phill
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi!
I am not sure if I understand correctly what you mean with the function of a grader blade. So let me explain it this way.

Some dozer blades can have a vertical "tilt" function. That means that you can cut in at one side of the vehicle whereas on the other side you do not cut in. Such functions do KODIAK AEV3 and Bgbv90 have, or some civilian dozers. Chieftain, Challenger, M1 ABV, M60 have NO such capability.

Some dozer blades can also vary the cutting angle which is a different horizontal tilt version. KODIAK AEV3 for example has this function. Chieftain, Challenger, M1 ABV, M60 have NOT such capability.

In generall, Chieftains blade is only moving up and down. However when it moves up and down, it is not only lifting as with civilian dozers. The lower mountings guide the blade up and down, whereas the upper mountings (two "H" shaped constructions) let the blade move backwards with the upper edge when it moves up. This is quite more than with M60 blade, but similar to M1 ABV´s blade (as it is from the same manufactorer)This function is to increase ground clearance under the blade, produce better visibility for the driver when blade up.

Please note that Chieftain dozer has 2 different upright positions when in travel. Day lock and night lock. When in day lock, the blade is upmost lifted but then the driving lights can not be seen from the front (and therefore would only put their light on the blade´s back. The night lock position is the blade lifted 2/3 so that the driving lights can be used. Each of these two positions have the travel locks adjusted differently. Long for night lock and short for day lock.
Hope that helps. For more info contact me PM.

I should add that the blade has an extention flap at the top. This one hangs down normally and comes up when earth builds up in front of the blade for two reasons: Preventing earth from falling over the upper edge of the blade into the mechanics/mounts and second for indicating the amount of earth infront of the blade to the driver. The normal position of this flap is hanging down.

Andreas

duttons
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 06:11 PM UTC
Thank you both for such clear and detailed responses, it answers exactly what I was asking, even if what I asked was not clear.
The photo in the accurate armor instructions seem to show the blade as being oblique to the hull, rather than perpendicular to the direction of travel..
That had me concerned and had never seen before on a tank dozer. Have been looking in friend's library with no luck so you have made my day.

Cheers
Scott
 _GOTOTOP