Bundeswehr detachment in CFB Shilo?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi Gang,
thisquestion goes mainly to Canadian modelers/servicemen. I stumbled across pics of Bundeswehr Leopard 1 on Live Firing Excercise in CFB Shilo. Since I don`t believe that the unit brought their own vehicles. There must have been a unit with German tanks and AFV`s permanetly based in Shilo. Can anybody shed a light how many vehicles were stationed there?
TIA
Hans-Hermann
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:37 PM UTC
The British and German do bring their equipment to Shilo. I occasionally see train loads of British and German equipment on trains moving through Ontario, mostly unloaded in the port at Montreal. The German equipment is very rare, but we do see lots of British.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 09:37 PM UTC
Looks like some soldiers enjoyed the stay

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/ourcityourworld/germany/from-soldiers-to-settlers-176074991.html

Here are some Marders and Leopard 2's there :

H.P.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The British and German do bring their equipment to Shilo. I occasionally see train loads of British and German equipment on trains moving through Ontario, mostly unloaded in the port at Montreal. The German equipment is very rare, but we do see lots of British.

Incorrect...the British train at CFB Suffield in Alberta at BATUS. The British have never had an established training base at Shilo.

The German Army Training Establishment at CFB Shilo closed in 2000 and all Bundeswehr equipment was removed.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gang,
thisquestion goes mainly to Canadian modelers/servicemen. I stumbled across pics of Bundeswehr Leopard 1 on Live Firing Excercise in CFB Shilo. Since I don`t believe that the unit brought their own vehicles. There must have been a unit with German tanks and AFV`s permanetly based in Shilo. Can anybody shed a light how many vehicles were stationed there?
TIA
Hans-Hermann

The Bundeswehr used many versions of the Leopard at Shilo including the Leopard 1A1, Leopard 1A2, Leopard 1A1A1, Leopard 1A5 and Leopard 2A4 but I don't recall if the Leopard 1A3 or A4 was used there.

I remember climbing around on a Bundeswehr Leopard 1A5 from Shilo that had gone to 202 Workshop in Montreal for repairs in the early 1990s.

Cold weather trials with the prototype Leopard 1 were also conducted in Shilo.

My Regiment conducted training on the Cougar AVGPs in Shilo in the late 1980s. I saw the Bundeswehr conducting live fire training in Shilo with Leopards and Marders.

I don't recall if the Bundeswehr kept armour at Shilo year round for troops rotating in for training or if armour was brought in and out for training on a regular basis.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
There was a saying in the Canadian Army that "Canada has the third largest tank force in Canada!", which was sadly true as BATUS and GATES outnumbered the Leopards of the entire RCAC.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hi guys,
thanks for the replies. Very helpful. BTW, the photos I mentioned will be uploaded on Michael Shackletons Leopard site.
Cheers
Hans-Hermann
ArtyG37B
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 08:23 PM UTC
yes, the equipment for GATES was permanently located and they just rotated the troops. When I was there they did start to swap out the 1a5's for 2's. Always enjoyed watching them on the Berlin Battlerun.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 09:43 PM UTC
Interesting site about GATES in German-
http://www.cfb-shilo.de/
 _GOTOTOP