_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
AK Interactive Paints - Enamel Paint ?
willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 12:56 PM UTC
Greetings,

More a general question as I am curious. I am using Lifecolor and AK Interactive paints for the most part.

The AK enamel color series for acrylics such as the washes and filters (to name a few). Are these enamel paints or are they an acyclic paint with a confusing name ?

Which prompts me to ask, if they are an enamel, is it a good idea to paint acrylic over the top (for whatever reason). Perhaps it is best to use these AK enamels in the final phase of painting.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. WilloW
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 02:29 PM UTC
Iain, I can't help with the first part of your question but with the second part wherever possible only use enamel over acrylic. Acrylics have a hard time bonding to a enamel surface so tend to lift or pool rather than bond.

Myself I use Lifecolor over primer and AK washes straight over the acrylic without issue, the only time a varnish coat is applied is if there are any decals which will need protection from the wash. I'm mainly doing ships so with markings few and far between my varnish (acrylic not enamel) tends to be localised before the wash then an all over dull coat (enamel) once complete.

Hope that's of some help
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 08:19 PM UTC
Iain,

the AK enamel washes and filters and streaking effects etc. are enamels.

The acrylic paint sets are acrylic.

As for using enamels over acrylics or acrylics over enamels, yes you can. I do it multiple times during the weathering process, as long as each application is allowed to cure/gas out etc. you shouldn't have any problems. By applying an acrylic layer over enamels, be it a filter or a clear coat, it protects the previous layer from being reactivated by the application of further effects.

Here is my latest piece, painted in acrylics, initial weathering with enamels, clear coated with acrylics, dust was done with oils etc. and on and on. I always go back and forth several times with each medium to keep the layers from interacting in a negative way and as you can see below, there were no issues in doing so.

Hope this helps.

willow
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2014 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thanks Luciano and Ken - I appreciate your time taken to reply. I think I am probably over-thinking the issue. I'll follow your advice. Nice work Ken; I like the weathering... WilloW
 _GOTOTOP