_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bradley side-skirts position
thx1138
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 08:59 PM UTC
Easy question probably, but I somehow cannot find the answer myself.

It's about the A2/3 versions of the Bradley with the new style sideskirts. Not the old 80's ones.

Often you see them in a raised position, or at least a couple of panels. Allowing easier access or to clear away accumulated debris ?

Anyways, how do these work ? Since there's a handle on each one of them, do they simply slide upwards and downwards ? Or do they have to be bolted on in either position by the crew.

And if it is a slide system, can you slide them half way allowing any position, or is it either down or fully up.

thanx a bunch.

P.S.
Asking since I just started a side by side duo build of the Academy M2A2 and the Meng M3A3. I will ditch the ERA modules on the Meng, and would like to cut some panels and raise them. Same on the Academy but easier without the ERA mounting brackets.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hi Richard,
yes the sideskirts bolts are turned loose and the entire skirt is simply turned upside down, Don´t know why its done, but getting access to the track tensioner is a reason. In some cases, the skirt sections are changed from one side to another. You might check your references for this. I saw on exercises here in Germany that the first two skirt section kept in normal position (down) to get the driver in and out of the vehicle.
HTH
Hans-Hermann
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
The side skirts are not foldable. The "handles" you're talking about are in fact foot loops. The skirt plates can be bolted in the "up" position though...

H.P.
thx1138
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 - 11:14 PM UTC
Ah, ok. Now I get it. Upside down bolt on. Interesting to do some upside down weathering then

Thanks. Helps a lot.
Quartercav
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hi, Hans-Hermann and Frenchy are right. I saw a second method as they lift the lower side skirts. With the new armored side skirts mounts, the mount will stay in position and only the side skirts plates were installed up side down. This looks like a middle position. Sorry, I have actually no picture about it.
 _GOTOTOP