_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
finally mastered my airbrush
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 10:49 AM UTC
How about you? over the years airbrushes have been somewhat frustrating to me. Tried Paasche with poor results then recently purchased a Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS with somewhat less frustration. Problem is I have not been methodical in my airbrush cleaning. I had not been getting all of the paint out of the nozzle. The nozzle needs to be shiny clean inside or performance will suck.I am also careful to use the right solvent for cleaning. Also noticed I had mushroomed tip of the nozzle by forcing the needle or whatever to far, had to use a magnifying glass to see this. The other issue is that this particular brush needs to be run at the Iwata recommended 35 psi or more to operate properly. No matter how thin the paint is, it simply will not spray. I proved this by running water through it at various pressures, definitely 35 psi paint volume on this brush is controlled primarily by the trigger pull. Thinning paint properly was a problem too.Solved that by using the Tamiya recommended ratio of 2/3 paint to 1/3 Tamiya thinner and adding a 1:10 ratio of Tam paint retarder. The 1:10 ratio is critical to provide better airbrush aerosol and does prevent clogging the tip. Anyway I can not blame Passche or whomever,operator error was the problem.Should have studied the user guide. This post is for those that are frustrated with airbrushing....hope this helps. My current project is turning out to be my best paint job yet
 _GOTOTOP