_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A2 Abrams - points of accuracy
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:13 AM UTC
Having begun to build a 1/72-scale M1A2 Abrams, I am just checking on a few points of accuracy ... (1) Evidently, operational A2s were never in the NATO 3-colour camouflage scheme, only those in gunnery training/exercises. (2) Would converting the standard A2 to the SEP version require external modifications (disregarding the SEP V2 with CROWS system)? (3) Would it be accurate to depict an A2 on exercise carrying CIPs, or would it simply have 'Friend or Foe' crosses attached to the turret and hull? (4) If I had BFAs fitted to the two machine guns, is it logical that the SIMFIRE would also be mounted above the main gun? Quite alot of questions there ... hopefully someone will have the answers to at least some of these.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I had BFAs fitted to the two machine guns, is it logical that the SIMFIRE would also be mounted above the main gun?

I guess it could be...

Full size

H.P.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:39 AM UTC
Converting an M1A2 into SEP would require several mods.
- Installation of an A/C unit in the turret bustle with the
armored cooling lines under the rear turret.
- Removal ot the left rear fuel filler cap and installing an
APU.
- Infantry telephone box beside the right tail light
- Turret Bustle Rack Extension
- Several small fittings
If the machine guns have the BFA attached, either the Hoffman device or the newer Main Gun Signature Simulator atre attached.
Vehicles also carry the MILES sensor band and the amber hit indicator light.
I can only speak of Germany based EAS Abrams. These tracks carry the CIP panels regardless of being used as training unit.
Usually you have to determine on which the theater your model will be based.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
On a side note, you can have the Main Tank Gun Weapons Effect Signature Simulator fitted (a.k.a. MTG-WESS - The military love acronyms ) and no BFA...

In both pics you can notice the MILES gear Hans-Hermann mentions in his post.

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(1) Evidently, operational A2s were never in the NATO 3-colour camouflage scheme, only those in gunnery training/exercises.

As of about '13, NATO Camo M1A2 SEP v2s were fielded to Germany and Korea. So you can now show operational M1A2s SEPs v2s in NATO camo and be correct. All earlier operation versions were in only Sand.

Quoted Text

(3) Would it be accurate to depict an A2 on exercise carrying CIPs, or would it simply have 'Friend or Foe' crosses attached to the turret and hull?

CIPs are carried in training as well as operational. Friend or Foe crosses have not been used for a while in training exercises. The above pic also shows a tank in a training exercise w/MILES and CIPs.
 _GOTOTOP