_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Qua Patet Orbis" Dutch Marine on Java
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Ola People

Been away for a bit... New job and some other things massively distracted me from this site. But I have not stopped building. So I'm going to try to catch up a bit. Here is a project I finished some months ago. It was a commission piece of a friend who wanted me to make a diorama of his granddad who served with the Dutch Marines on Java, Indonesia shortly after WW2. He was a mechanic servicing the Company vehicles but had to do patrols as well. The man still lives and supplied me with all the information to make sure that all the details were right up to and including the pet Monkey "Kees" (Very common dutch name like John is in English)

The Jeep is Tamiya. With Eduard PE set, Sculpted sandbags on the floor of the vehicle. Custom decals, Modified figure, Mantis Grey Java Monkey and the bit of groundwork was mostly selfmade with the addition of some Fredericus Rex Green Jungle bits.

The title of the dio is the motto of the Dutch Marines and translated it means "As wide as the world reaches".

Sadly I was not able to upload pics to the gallery so I have to link them from my Facebook account. I apologize if the quality of the pics is not to write home about. Facebook kinda mangles picture quality.

Better pics will be uploaded to the gallery somewhere in the future.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Robert ,

there's nothing wrong with the quality of the pictures IMHO. Fantastic diorama and very original . I like your Bamboo too. Nice setting and the vegetation is also very good.

Well done my friend and i hope to see some more work from you here !

Kurt
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC

Hi Robert,

Kurt is right! The photos are OK!

The bamboo is looking good too!!!

2 things that bother me a bit are the blueish green colour of the Fredericus Rex plants (I know what I am talking about as I use them too!!), and then the left arm of the figure. It shows a "joint" with the shoulder, and it has an odd shape. Also Grandpa has been to the gym, he has grown some muscles!!

Cheers

Romain

FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 06:17 PM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for the replies.

Kurt Thanks for the compliments. Really appreciated.

Romain. Thanks to you as well. The leafs are not that bad in color in real life. But I had to link those from my FB page where I don't have color corrected pics. Too much blue in these pics. The paper Fredericus Rex uses is a pretty horrible underground to make it look good. I colored all the leaves with color pencils. Changing the color and adding a light sheen.
As for your comments you are right allthough I can't and won't change it anymore. As the piece is sitting in the living room of a happy customer
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As the piece is sitting in the living room of a happy customer

You have very forgiving customers Robert!

Hi Robert! How are you? Hope all is well and the new work still ok.

Greets
Claude

Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 07:29 PM UTC

Hi Robert,

Very nice job and very uncommon subject. Personally, I like very much to have a reference picture for my job.

Then, your bamboo looks real ! Very nice.

Cheers
Giovanni
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 02:46 PM UTC
OLa People thanks for the comments.

@ Claude.
How are you my friend. Great to see the castle has found it's final home. now hopefully they treat it with care.
The job is perfect. Feel right at home here. And the work is great. Happy holidays my friend.

@ Giovanni
You are right it is a subject that not many people built. And these days are great as a lot of the Vehicles that the KNIL and the Dutch Marines used in Indonesia are now commercially available. And thanks for the compliments on the Bamboo.
 _GOTOTOP