_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
MasterBox paratrooper figures-wrong jackets?
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 372 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hi All,

I've recently bought two Master Box sets containing U.S. paratroopers, one "US and German paratroops-South Europe 1944"and the other "US paratroops-1944". Both sets are very crisply moulded, well detailed and of a high standadr, yet all the paratroopers are wearing the US army jackets, not the iconic M42 Jump jackets (the ones with four large slanting pockets on the front)?

Unfortunately I can't post a decent close-up photo, but does anybody have any input on why they seem to be wearing the wrong jackets?

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 09:40 PM UTC
I noticed something wrong with their jackets, too. Looks like a combination of old and new styles, or something. The best part of the set is the two bathing girls!
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2014 - 10:08 PM UTC
Haha...they're the most accurate part of the set! It looks like the US troopers are wearing M43 jackets but with funny collars...really disappointing because they are in really useful poses for a diorama.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
I was planning to use them in conjunction with Dragon's US tank riders, but their not compatible with them either.
Vierville
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 03:51 PM UTC
It's a real pity...the detail on the MasterBox figures is very crisp and the moulds are clean, not many seam lines. I've subsequently opened my MasterBox "move move move!" set of U.S. operation overlord figures and I see all of them are wearing trousers with large hip pockets. I'll have to research this as I've only ever seen rangers of the June 1944 period wearing this pattern, not infantry.

Maybe you can still use the bathing girls in conjunction with your Dragon US tank rifders!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2014 - 09:18 PM UTC
I am surprised here as I have to agree with the other comments about the accuracy. MB has really stepped up the figgy game recently which is why I am surprised that they muffed this up here. The figs are not accurate for any branch of USForcesEurope but a miss mash of uniforms. I suppose you could use bits and pieces to modify them with other kits?
The female collaborator is interesting though.
J
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
One of the problems with the uniforms could be the common use of U.S. troops to use what ever was available. Begining to the end in many pic's you will see a mix match of uniforms. Even pic's of paratroopers and glider troops on D-Day show this ad hoc of uniforms from one unit to another. Can't say one way or the other as to the right pockets on pants or jackets on some figures, I don't have the reff. on them for a total yea or na.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 08:33 PM UTC
In an airborne division, the parachute regiment wore the jump suit, but the glider regiments wore the regular (Parsons Jacket) infantry uniforms - at D-Day.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 08:51 PM UTC
Masterbox has had a problem with the length of the Parsons Jacket in a past set and mixing features of M43 jackets and the Parsons jacket on the same figure.

What is the evidence for the cross snapped canteen covers used by the Army? My refs always said it was USMC only with a few rare pieces migrating into Army issue. Not universal as MB has it?

I'll use the set anyway and then take the file to the figure to fix the uniforms like I've been doing for decades.
 _GOTOTOP