_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Further questions on M1A2 Abrams - NTC
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 05:37 AM UTC
Many thanks for the extremely helpful replies to my earlier questions.
I am still unsure as to what the very tall mast is mounted on the turret rear of certain Abrams tanks (not the wind sensor, but much taller). I gather the appropriate camouflage scheme for an NTC vehicle would be sand/dark green (as shown in photos of 'A21' and 'C22'. Would the sand colour be similar to the OIF colour? ... any suggestions for Humbrol colour?
I plan to create a diorama showing an NTC M1A2 vehicle undergoing track maintenance. Would it be logical to include in the scene an M998 Humvee Cargo in a 3-tone camouflage scheme? Presumably any figures in the scene would be wearing BDU rather than the later ACU camouflage.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
Here is a pic from an M1A2 SEP V2 from the EAS in Germany:

Blue arrow : wind sensor
Green arrow : Duke antenna's base, here antenna is not mounted
Red arrow : FBCB2 antenna
For good V2 information, you can read the excellent Tankograd book, in the Fast track serie about the M1A2 SEP V2 from Ralph Zwilling :
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2014 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thanks for the extremely helpful replies to my earlier questions.
I am still unsure as to what the very tall mast is mounted on the turret rear of certain Abrams tanks (not the wind sensor, but much taller). I gather the appropriate camouflage scheme for an NTC vehicle would be sand/dark green (as shown in photos of 'A21' and 'C22'. Would the sand colour be similar to the OIF colour? ... any suggestions for Humbrol colour?
I plan to create a diorama showing an NTC M1A2 vehicle undergoing track maintenance. Would it be logical to include in the scene an M998 Humvee Cargo in a 3-tone camouflage scheme? Presumably any figures in the scene would be wearing BDU rather than the later ACU camouflage.

Paul,
First, Sorry, I cannot help with the Humbrol colors for the camouflage. The tan should be the same as the OIF tan and I want to say that the green was FS 34079 (Forest Green ) or FS 34094 (Army Green/CARC Green)

Now, what I can answer…
- The tall mast (it should be on the loader’s side of the tank) is the antenna for the battle tracking system that was used at the National Training Center (NTC). I believe there should be another box, hanging off of the side of the turret that contained the artillery simulator system that would fire off pyrotechnics if the tank was inside of the footprint of an artillery barrage. There will also be a yellow strobe light mounted on the turret to indicate whether the vehicle was killed by enemy fire.

- The maintenance guys would be wearing BDUs but make sure that they are equipped with the MILES halos on their Kevlar helmets. The MILES harness would be attached or worn over their web gear. 94-07 was in April and still a bit chilly, so the maintenance guys woudl be in complete uniform vice in their t-shirts while working...

- I believe that the HMMWVs during 94-07 were actually NTC “draw” vehicles in the standard NATO camo and should not have tops nor doors. They will need MILES Systems including the kill light (smaller than the one found on the tank).

Shoot me an e-mail at j_charvatatcoxdotnet if you want some additional info. Also, Concord Publications NTC book by Greg Stewart is helpful for setting the stage for info and pics on the MILES gear and what the draw vehicles look like. Keep in mind that TF 1-70 shipped their M1A2s from Ft Knox and the M1A1s were NTC draw vehicles.

John C
 _GOTOTOP