_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
US Army BDU camouflage scheme.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
Does anyone have any tips on recreating a realistic BDU camouflage scheme on 1/72 scale figures? I plan to use Humbrol/Revell enamels ... any suggestions on appropriate colour matches?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
Well, you need to get a copy of the pattern, maybe several copies to show you what the colors could look like, depending on how much fading and what dyes might have been used. Next, match your colors to this, a middle green, brown, black (very dark gray wil work) and sand (NOT white.) Practice the pattern on a sheet of card stock, index card, whatever you have at hand until you get what looks like the pattern. It would help to shrink the patterns you what looks right for the scale you're painting. Practice replicating the pattern until you get a reasonable facsimile, then do it on the figure. You will need a very good fine tipped brush. Start with green, add the brown, then black and sand.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 - 06:54 PM UTC
Can`t give any matches on Humbrol or Revell. I use Tamiya acrylics. I guess you refer to the BDU Woodland Pattern?
FYI BDU (Batlle Dress Uniform) refers to the cut of the uniform.
BDU has three camouflage pettern. Woodland (the green/brown one), 6-tone Desert and 3-tone Desert. To be more correct the 3 and 6- tone Desert are referred as Desert Combat Unifom DCU.
For Woodland pattern, I use Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan as base, XF-67 NATO Green, XF-64 Redbrown and XF-1 Black.
For 3-tone DCU:
Base XF-55 Deck Tan, XF-52 Flat Earth and XF-21 Sky. I know that Humbrol has a color conversion card for the variozs color brands.
HTH
Hans-Hermann
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

FIFA 15 is in-stores now, buy your copy today.

Monty Python song: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!!
 _GOTOTOP